Chapter 18: The Growing Army of Three

Word of my words spread faster than any words Meaghan would've spread about me to damage my oh-so-precious and nonexistent reputation (you see what I did there with the word thing? ;)) And certain people were already starting to stare at me like they were seeing me in a new light. 

I beamed in their eyes, but still walked with caution. Meaghan was a dangerous enemy. Not only was she a cheerleader, but she was a dancer. 

She was in that "Song" thing where you cheer and dance at the same time (though I still fail to see a difference), so she had the cheerleaders, and the dance team on her back. But I had Anna, Aiden, and Jenni. Though our numbers were currently small, it was oddly enough to comfort me. At least you're not alone anymore, I reminded myself. 

Around lunch Jenni came bouncing up to us. She was in uniform of course, and her brown hair swayed and bounced in her high pony tail. I shuddered inwardly at the sight of her. She looked so much like...."THEM"... 

But I was able to push out those feelings once she opened her mouth. Jenni was different. Jenni had a brain. 

"Hey! So I heard that a certain someone said certain somethings to a certain someone today," she chirped, linking my other arm and looking at me meaningfully. 

I was the only one who didn't get it.  

"What?" I asked, genuinely confused. 

"She's talking about the way you told off Meaghan today, silly," Anna threw in. 

"Oh." I was still being cautious. I looked around before I answered, making sure no cheerleaders (besides Jenni) or no dancers were in any position to listen or just not around period. "Well like I said, I wasn't even sure if it was true I just"- 

"Went with a few references and made a few educated guesses," they both mimicked at the same time. 

Had I said it that much? 

"Stop being so modest," Anna insisted beaming at me with pride. 

"And besides Tony deserves better than Meaghan. And..." Jenni's voice changed mid-sentence, sounding like a mixture of pride, excitement and expectation, "I think he's about to get better..." 

Anna and I followed her gaze, and there was Maria, obviously flirting up a storm with a newly single Tony. That stung, a little, I had to admit. I was gonna make-up that date to her, I was! Wasn't I? Oh well. She was only settling for Tony because I wasn't here. Well, I was. She just didn't know that. I just wasn't in my body. But as soon as I was, a few smooth words, a charming smile, some gentle touches and Maria would be falling into my arms all over again. 

Enjoy it while you can, Tony. 

Then of course I still had to get with Anna first. I looked at Anna, the human sunflower, who was now giggling and making predictions with Jenni. She was so bright; so warm.....But I was still a king. And a king does not give up his throne to anyone or for anyone. Anna was still just another girl. 

Or at least, that's what I tried to keep telling myself. 

"So when did this start happening?" Anna asked Jenni suspiciously eyeing her knowing smile. 

"Well...I might or might not have known that Maria has always had a crush on Tony, and I might or might not have pushed her to give her a little," she winked at us, "encouragement.." 

I was lost again. This must be how it feels to be the stupid one out of friends.  

"What?" 

"She practically hooked them up! Gosh, Jessica, you're so silly!" Anna clarified with a laugh turning back to Jenni.