chapter one

The shrill bell rang throughout the school; soundless whispers echoed around the dimly lit hallways. Students pushed and shoved each other, eager to escape the school quickly. It was a Friday afternoon, and even the teachers shoved through to get to their cars, their families, homes.

Me? I headed nowhere in particular. I didn't want to go home, I never did at the end of the day. The weekends were the worst. Mum headed out straight away to go party with her stupid friends. I slammed my locker door, looking around me to make sure nobody was around.

I sighed silently, despite the empty hallways, I felt crowded. I slowly walked towards the exit, dragging my now full bag behind me. Studying was always something I somewhat enjoyed. The peace and quiet was great.

Gemma, my sister, never bothered me when I told her I was studying, she was really into school, and work, and sometimes, she freaked out if she got even a B on her tests. She always offered to help me, her work wasn't a challenge for her anymore.

Sometimes I let her, but other times, I enjoyed the serenity.

I pushed open the door, but as I was stepping out, it bounced back, and banged right into my nose. I could taste the blood before I could smell it. Then again, smelling was out of order at the moment, there was a flood.

I cussed under my breath, and looked up to see a boy standing over me. He was shorter than I was, slightly, maybe in some kind of punk band, he had tattoos all over his skin, piercings covered his face, lip ring, eyebrow ring, both black in color. A smirk played across his lips, and I stood up straighter, towering over the boy.

"What do you want, Tomlinson." I spat, and tried to walk around him, not waiting for an answer. His arm came shooting out in front of me, blocking my path.

"I'd watch your tone if I were you, Styles." His arm left my space, and he huffed, before walking off in the opposite direction. Straight through the school. I was curious as to where he was going, but anger flared inside of me. I strode away from him, outside into the cold October weather.

I walked right past my car, and continued in the general direction of my house. Gemma ought to be there by now, she had a car of her own. Then again, she had everything, as did I. When you had money, you could have anything you wanted. But I didn't want 'things'. 'Things' couldn't solve my problems in school, they couldn't solve anything.

Louis Tomlinson, a punk boy, just entered grade 12 with an attitude for a little brat. He was conceited, and seriously rude. I didn't know what his problem was, but I knew not to get in his face. He'd leave me alone if I left him alone. Anger still bubbled inside me as I walked to the mansion at the top of the hill.

He called me Styles, I don't even think he knew my first name. He never noticed me before today. Then again, I never knew he even knew I existed. Until today. I groaned aloud as I calmed myself down. Gemma greeted me at the door, her long brown hair blowing in the cold winds.

"Get inside, it's freezing out here." She was the only person I loved with all of my heart, she was an amazing sister, and she understood everything. She was really a great person overall, and I cared about her. I knew she felt the same way about me.

She scurried inside, and stood further down the long hallway.

"Where's your car?"

"School."

"You walked all the way here?" She half shrieked, I nodded instead of just saying yes. She walked back to me, whispering now, "Are you okay, Haz?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, don't worry. I have homework." I gave her a small smile, and walked past her, right into the kitchen. She didn't follow me, so I grabbed an apple, and settled myself at the table, spreading my school books all around me.