One Big, Happy...

• Brianne's POV •

"So," Denise began once she set her suitcase down near her hotel bed,"you and my son are dating, huh?"
I twiddled my fingers. Her whole vibe gave me the chills. She seemed like one of those moms who thought that no one was good enough her son. No one. "Yes," I responded with hesitation.
"Hmm, how long?"
"A month and some change. Almost two actually."
"Aww," his little sister chipped in as she came out the bathroom. I smiled at her because she seemed to be nice and far from like her mother. By looks I'd guess she was 16. "I'm Destiny," she said shaking my hand. Destiny had curly long natural hair and sparkling eyes. She was tall for a girl, too. At least a few inches taller than me and I'm 20.
"I'm Brianne but you can call
me Bri," I said returning the gesture.
"On a scale of one to ten, how well do you think you know my boy?" Denise asked still interrogating me like a criminal.
"Um...," I was so not expecting to have her ask something like this. I knew Deshawn, but I didn't know Deshawn. Not yet at least. That's even if he would allow me to do so. He would never get too in depth to what's on his mind or what bothers him. "I would say a 7," I answered quite honestly.
"Is that right?" His mom asked, her lips perched.
"Ma," Destiny said giving her the side eye.
"Um look lil miss I can ask her what I please. I have to make sure my child is in good care."
Destiny tolled her eyes and put one ear bud in her ear.
"If you say a seven," Denise continued," then that means you know Deshawn has diabetes."
My eyes got wide. He never not once said anything about that. I would consider that to be something worth knowing but as usual Deshawn saw it as no big deal.
"Oh no! You didn't did you?" Denise said sarcastically shaking her head.
It was taking a lot in me not to verbally attack this woman who was definitely trying to come for me.
"I hope you know you're not getting any money off my son either. I know a snake when I see one."
"Money?," I laughed," I don't need his money. I'll have you know that my major is nursing and I can make my own money honey."
Denise looked at me upside my head with a grimace on her face. I got the sudden instinct to run. I wasn't one to like confrontation and this lady here was all about it. After a while a small smile spread across her face. She patted me on my shoulder.
The breath that was stuck I my throat finally aired out.
"I might just be starting to like you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Deshawn's POV •

The hostess showed the four of us to a booth and handed each of us a menu that read: Ruth's Chris Steak House.
"Where'd Taj go?" Destiny asked with a frown as we thumbed through the menu. Ever since Destiny was little she always had a little crush on Taj. I don't know why, he didn't really pay her much attention. Plus with me in the way, she was not getting close to anyone 7 years older than her anyways.
"He had got a phone call," I answered which was true. I just left out the fact that the phone call was for him to pick up some more powder. I wasn't mad that he had to bail on my big night though. I actually wanted it to just be us four anyways.
"Owe," she say poking her lip out.
My mom looked at me over the menu," She seems nice." I automatically knew she was referring to Brianne as if she wasn't sitting right next to me.
"You think so?" I said looking at Bri out my peripheral. She looked worried. My mom could be a handful sometimes but you had to love her.
"I like her," Destiny admitted. Destiny liked anybody that I brought around just so she could be nosy and in my business. Plus it took moms attention off her and put me back in the spotlight.
"Yeah she ight," I laughed playfully. Bri nudged me as the waiter came to the table to get our drink orders.
"I need a margarita," mama told the waiter.
"Yes ma'am," he said writing it down.
"It needs to be one of them nice size ones too. Not that little baby glass."
The waiter laughed and continued. "And for you miss?" He asked Bri.
"Sweet tea, please."
The waiter nodded and said he'd back later to take our order. We all turned to look at Brianne who stared backstage us.
"Tea?" My sister asked.
She nodded," Must be just a southern thing huh?"
We all nodded. Then there was a moment of silence.
"Why didn't you tell me you had diabetes?" Bri asked breaking the silence.
I raised my eyebrow," Who told you that?"
"Your mom," she said pointing at her. I looked over at her to see she was turning red from trying not to burst out laughing. Destiny had covered her face with her hands. I shook my head," I don't have diabetes, but if she keeps on saying that I just might get it. Excuse my mom. She was just trying to intimidate you."
Bri's jaw dropped. Mama shrugged as she took a sip of her margarita.
"Its ok," I said rubbing Bri's thigh from under the table. My touch made her bite the corner of her lip.
"Anyways," my mom interrupted our little moment," Do you like the T-shirts your sister and I got made?"
"Yeah," I nodded," you just had to use a baby picture."
"Cause your my baby," my momma fussed.
"You looked so cute," Bri laughed," you had a lil snaggle tooth."
"He was soooo ugly then," Destiny joked.
"Like you look any better," I said kicking her lightly from under the table.
"Shut up," she said kicking me back.
"I like the picture," mama added," my little chocolate baby. You remember the day you took that picture."
I clenched my jaw," Sure."
"What happened?" Bri asked curiously.
"Nothing," I answered quickly.
"Nothing? Boy, you remember it was me, you, and your daddy. We went to the zoo for the first time and you were so scared of them damn giraffes. Your daddy..." My momma reminisced.
"Ok." I said stopping her from going into more details. What I remember of that day isn't as good as she makes it out to be. That day was the first time my father ever layed hands on my mother. We got home that evening from the zoo. He went out with some "friends" and came back and swung on her. I was 6 at the time. I witnessed the whole thing too and I couldn't do anything about it cause I didn't know what to do. What could I have done?
"Don't interrupt me," my mom said sternly. I tightened my face. "You look just like your father when you do that," she said shaking her head and taking the rest of her margarita down. I looked at Bri who looked at me with pleading eyes. Destiny had her head lowered. "A "father" doesn't do what he's done," I retorted harsh-fully as I stood up and excused myself from the table," Now if you'd excuse me but I need to go wash my hands."