* Championship Pt. 2 *

"Alright!" Coach yelled at us," Huddle up knuckleheads."
All the guys scrambled throughout the locker room to form around coach.
"Tonight is one of, if not the most important game we've played all year long. We've busted out asses all years long to reach this point so don't let your team or yourself down knowing you've come this far. Give this game 1000%. Not 100 because for some of you this is it. And for others how you play tonight will reflect on your position next season so beware.  We've beaten Notre Dame in a regular off season, so who's to say we can't now!? This title is ours! I can taste it already!"
"Yeah!" Everyone chanted.
I licked my lips and wiped my sweaty palms on my jersey. I was nervous now, something that wasn't common for me to be.
"Scouts are here for some of you and trust me when I say they pay attention to the winners. The winners in sportsmanship, quality, skill, and hard work. Show them that that is what Chicago State's basketball team brings to the court! Show them what you've used to make it here. If you're on the bench show them you can be one helluva goddam cheerleader too if needed!" Coach said stomping his foot down. He turned and looked at me," Captain, you're running plays tonight. You tell them what to do, when to be there, and where you want them to be  tonight. The rest of you follow his orders like you would mine no matter what you feel about it."
"Yessir," they agreed.
"I love you boys. It's been a great one. I appreciate it seriously. Don't bring this win home for me. Not even for yourselves. Bring it home for your community that desperately needs a 4 year consecutive Championship win to motivate them. Do it for the little boy you see playing ball at the park that could be doing bullshit with his life right now but he knows basketball will get him out because he looks up to you all. Do it for the people. Let's get it! Countdown on Cougars!"
I took a deep breath as everyone out their fist together.
"Aye, I don't know bout y'all but we bout to leave a legacy on this court today," I began.
"Yeah!" They agreed loudly.
"Cougars on three! Cougars on three! One, two, three!" I yelled.
"Cougars!" They chanted after me. We immediately began to file out as the commentator began to call out our roster for the evening.
"...at left wing we have, number 2...Mario Standford!" The guy in the box said with enthusiasm. The crowd cheered as he took his place on the court where the opposing team was already positioned.
I stood next to Rakeem waiting for them to call for the rest of us. "... And at center we have number 42 ...Jason Ford!"
"At right wing we have number 7...Rakeem Fulton!!!"
Rakeem turned to me and gave me a dap," Let's do this bro!" I nodded," Let's go!" I hit him on the back as he ran out on to court.
"Last but certainly not least! At the position of point guard/forward we have number 25...Deshawn Harris Jr.!!!!!"
As I stepped on to court the crowd went ballistic. I looked up in the audience to see Brianne and Brooklyn sitting together in the student section. Bri waved in my direction. She had on the jersey I had brought to her and she had on a white snap back that was turned to the back on her head. I laughed at the fact that she slick looked thuggish but it was still cute. I turned my head to the other side of the arena. Glancing over the audience, I was also able to spot out my mom, sister, and Taj sitting together close to the court floor. My mom had a noise maker and a T-shirt made with my face on it as a young kid that read: my son is a better captain than yours.
My sister had one as well expect it said brother instead and on the back of both shirts it had Harris Jr.
Taj had his dreads down with a small headband on. It was rare to catch him with his long locks down. He usually kept it up in a ponytail or something.
My mom and sister blew kisses at me. I smiled as I stood near the free throw line waiting for the ref to blow the whistle signaling the start of the game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Brianne's POV •

The game went by slowly but the action was very fast paced. The boys were now at the fourth quarter and the score was 83- Cougars and 91- Notre Dame. They were down by eight but they could easily tie with 4 and a half minutes left on the clock. At the moment Deshawn was on the bench and he didn't look to ecstatic to be sitting there. Ashleigh's cousin had take his place for now as point guard.
The game was so intense it made Brooklyn and I want to bite our nails at every shot. The pressure was definitely on max.
"I hope they win. Do you think they will?"She asked grabbing my wrist.
I pryed her strong fingers off skin and nodded. "I have faith that they will."
"You gone give him some if they do?"
I shook my head and smirked," You are so out there with your comments."
"The normalcy," Brooklyn shrugged.
Deshawn stood up off the bench and waltzed over to where coach was. I felt like he was about to tell him off but he was actually talking calmly from what I could see.  The whistle blew as coach pushed D on to the court to assume his position once more. The score was now 93 to 92 and only a minute was left in the game. The ball was ours and the ball was tossed at Deshawn. He looked awfully nervous. Hopefully he won't miss this redemption shot. He stopped at the three point line. One of the guys guarding the centers left and hurried over to where he was to stoop him from shooting but it was too late. D had pulled up and realeased a three by the time the dude came to block him. The whole crowd fell silent as they watched the last play. It seemed as if everything at the moment was going in slow motion. The guy guarding Deshawn was so aggressive when he charged at him that he ended up knocking him down. It brought back the time in my mind when he broke his ankle. "Please get up..." I prayed in a murmur as D laid out on the floor. He continued to lay there holding his side. He didn't need another injury because the next one might be fatal. If it was then that meant kissing that NBA draft in June goodbye. As I thought about all the cons of the situation, Deshawn slowly sat up just in time to see that his shot went in. Nothing but net. The entire arena went back to being loud and crazy.
"Wow! What a magnificent play! With a three point buzzard beater is Dooowwnnnntooowwwnn Deshawn Harris!!! The exceptional shot has made this game now that of the Cougars! They win by two points. The game ends with a score of 95-93..." The announcer said with so much energy. All the boys on the team came on the court celebrating once the final buzzard sounded signaling the game was now over. "OMG!" Brooklyn screamed shaking me,"They won!"
We were both now jumping up and down like fan girls as we watched the boys take the rest of the water in the cooler and dump it on Coach Howard's head and laugh. Coach didn't look too happy about that but he smiled and threatened to make them run Monday morning. Several fans began to file out on to the floor as well to congratulate the team. I grabbed Brooklyn's arm and drug her behind me to go congratulate Keem and Deshawn. Once we made our way to the floor and spotted D, another woman and girl was approaching him as well.
"...my baby!" I heard the woman say. "Oh hell no!" Brooklyn said putting her hands on her hips. I held her back when I realized that the two had a strong facial resemblance. I let out a sense of relief at that. I would be scarred to find out he was cheating on me with w cougar with a child. Taj soon appeared beside them and gave Deshawn a pat on the back and put him in a headlock. "I think that's his mother..." I said turning to look at Brooklyn. "Did he tell you she was coming?" I shook my head,"No, but he looks like her."
"Yea they do," she agreed," you know we got to check tho."
"Chill," I said tugging at her arm," you always ready to turn up."
"Just because you're not easy to get turnt like me don't mean it's not a problem," she reminded me.
"Just come on here hoe," I said continuing to make my way to D. If this was his mother would she like me? Does she even know about me? Is she nice or one of those 'momzillas'? Would she even approve of me? All these questions ran through my mind making me become very self conscious now.
"Deshawn...?" I asked as I approached. He turned around with an awkward expression on his face. I couldn't tell whether he was happy to see me or constipated.
"Aye girl!" T-Rock said smiling and throwing his head back at me.
"Hey Taj,"I waved. Brooklyn whispered in my ear asking who was that sexy motherfuvker. But I just ignored her.
"Bri," D said smiling at me," I would hug you but I'm kinda...sweaty."
I was about to say I wouldn't mind but that wasn't appropriate at the moment.
"It's fine. I just wanted to come say congratulations. You played so good."
"Thank you baby," he said biting his lip as he looked me up and down. The woman narrowed her eyes at me.
"Deshawn who is this?" The woman asked looking me up and down. I did the same back without realizing it at first. "Uh, momma this Brianne. My girlfriend. Remember I kinda told you about her."
"No I don't remember because you kinda ain't said none..." She began but the younger girl beside her interrupted.
"Yes he did ma," the girl said. Must be his little sister I thought to myself.
"Girl stay out of grown folks business," his mom said point her finger in his sisters face.
She turned and gave me what I perceived to be a fake smile. She stuck her hand out as if to shake mine," Well I'm your boyfriends mother, Denise. I'm pretty sure you've heard as much about me as I've heard about you."
"Nice to meet you Ms. Harris," I said shaking her hand back.
"No baby,"she said shaking her head,"that was my married name its originally Logan. He's the Harris."
"Ah I see,"I nodded.
"So I figured we could all go out to dinner after I freshen up at the crib," Deshawn suggested.
"Sound good to me I could eat," Brooklyn pitched in. Everyone turned to look at her. I shook my head," I don't think you're including." She crossed her arms," This some bull."
"I'm in," Taj nodded.
"Me too," his little sister agreed.
"I can eat," I said.
"what bout you momma?" He asked her.
"As long as we get the hell out this hot ass gym I'm going to be fine," she said wiping sweat off her cheeks.
Deshawn out an arm around me causing his mom to give us a death stare.
"Come with me to the crib," Deshawn told me. I was about to nod my head and say ok but his mom interrupted.
"No sir. Take nappy head with ya," she said pushing Taj near him," she can come with me and Destiny to the hotel. We got to get checked in."
"Umm...ma I don't know."
"Nonsense boy. It's not like we're going to hurt her. I just want to talk," his mom smirked in my direction. I could tell by her facial expression that this was not going to be good.