Stay Alive

A few weeks later, Peggy was waiting for the mail to come. She had been exchanging letters with John, who kept her updated on what was occurring on the battlefield.

Eagerly, she saw a letter and grabbed it, racing into her household.

My dearest, Peggy....

Peggy blushed.

I have distressing news.

Well, not anymore.

Charles Lee has finally crossed the line. He went against General Washington's orders the other day, and that is unacceptable. So, for Alexander, I have entered a duel against Lee-

Peggy's heart skipped a beat. She knew it would have been impossible to keep him from doing anything reckless. And of course, it was for Alexander. She read the rest of the letter. Tomorrow. The duel would take place tomorrow.

•••

Peggy was on edge of her seat for the rest of the week. Angelica stood by her side, waiting everyday with her sister for a letter with some information. About half a week later, Eliza ran into their household.

"Eliza!" Angelica exclaimed. "Back for another visit?"

Eliza also knew about John Laurens recent activities, and had been visiting the sisters more than usual. However, the middle sister looked rather frantic today.

"I've come to tell you something." She said, biting her lip.

"Of course. What is it?" Angelica asked.

"I... I am going to have a baby."

There was a pause.

"Oh, Eliza!" Peggy sighed and pulled her sister into a hug.

Soft tears ran down Eliza's cheeks. "But Alexander has not returned home yet. I wanted him the be the first one to know, but I just could not hold it in anymore. What if he never makes it home?" She looked desperate.

"Oh, Betsy. I am sure he'll return soon. He would never forget you." Peggy hugged her sister again.

"Is there anything we can do?" Angelica could not take her eyes off of Eliza's stomach.

"Perhaps not now. But I thank you with all my heart. And you, Peggy. What is happening with John?"

"I am not sure." The worry lines in Peggy's forehead returned. "I have not heard any news."

Eliza squeezed her younger sister's shoulder. "I'm sure you'll hear something."

Peggy nodded. She certainly hoped so.

•••

A few days later, three interesting letters had been sent to the Schuyler household. One from Alexander, the other from a man named John Barker Church, and one from John Laurens himself.

As you can see, I am clearly alive! John wrote, his charm easily transferred from his head to the paper. I apologize for the panic I probably put you through. But if it makes you feel any better, I kept thinking about you, my dearest, because I wanted your beautiful face to be my last thought.

Peggy smiled. The deed was done, John had put her through her through panic, made her feel slightly helpless, and had brought her back out. But she had to forgive him.

I assume you know this, but Alexander has been sent home. I am afraid the duel may have gotten him into too much trouble. Please let me know how he is. I am rather worried.

It seems as if Charles Lee is a thing of the past. He does not come near me any more. I have never felt prouder.

I hope I can come visit soon. I miss seeing your pretty face, hearing your voice. Although you cannot tell a soul what I am about to write, I think of you in my time of need. I love you.

A large smile crossed Peggy's lips. John had spoken from his heart, and that made her feel special.

She looked up to see Angelica reading the letter from John Barker Church. It was hard to read her expression.

"Angelica?" She asked.

"Hmm?" Angelica looked up from her letter.

"Who is that?" Peggy asked, pointing to the letter.

"The letter is an inanimate object and therefore does not have a gender."

"Who is it from?" Peggy asked, growing tired of her sister always correcting her grammar.

"Somebody." Angelica attempted to walk up the stairs.

"Somebody...."

"Just somebody I met at the ball."

"Oh Angelica!" Peggy beamed. "You did meet someone. See? I knew you would!"

Angelica shrugged. "More or less."

Peggy's shoulders dropped. "What is wrong?"

"Is this what love is supposed to feel like?" Angelica asked. "I do not feel much."

"It's just because it is new, that is all."

"Did you feel this way with John?"

Peggy was silent for a moment. She had not felt this way with John Laurens. She had always felt something with him. But it was a rare occasion that Angelic came to her for advice, so she tried not to blow it.

"A... A little bit, yes." Peggy lied.

Angelica nodded. "Everyone is expecting me to get married soon. I suppose this man will do. But I will not be the one proposing."

"What?" Peggy was astonished. "Angelica, you will never be truly happy if you rush into your marriage."

"Oh really? Look at Eliza! She had known Alexander- for three... For three weeks before they were married..." Angelica's voice died in her throat. Peggy knew it. Angelica still felt for Alexander.

"Come here." Peggy pulled her sister close. "Everything will work out, I promise you."

Peggy was not used to Angelica being so vulnerable. It was always Peggy or Eliza that needed help. Peggy had never though about Angelica's side of the story.

"I promise you." She whispered.

A/N~ Hello! Sorry for the lack of updating. School has been pretty busy, but hopefully I'll be back to updating one chapter a day. Thanks for reading, and be sure to check out my Hamilton one shots! ❤️