One Week Later I'm Writing a Letter Nightly

"Girls! There you are. You told me you were just going for a walk! What on Earth happened?" Their father stood in the living room, staring at his daughters, who were soaked to the bone.

"Sorry father." Angelica walked up to him. "We had a little.... Mishap."

"Well go upstairs and dry up, please." He sighed. Then he smiled. "But you look like you had a fun time."

The girls shared knowing looks and walked upstairs, trying not to drip on the carpet.

"I have not had that much fun in quite some time!" Angelica laughed.

"But the ball last night was splendid. It has not been that long." Eliza chastised.

Again, Angelica gave a smile that seemed as if it had been forced on her face. Eliza, who had been wringing out her dress, took no notice. But Peggy did.

•••

That night, once Eliza had gone to sleep, Peggy decided to ask Angelica what was wrong. Angelica always went to bed late, due to reading or writing. It was not very healthy, but there was no stopping her once she got started.

"Angelica?" Peggy knocked on her door. "It's me, Peggy."

"Peggy?" She opened the door. "I expected you to be asleep. Is something the matter?"

"Yes. But not with me."

Angelica looked puzzled. "Is Eliza alright?"

"Yes, she is fine. What about you?"

"I'm sorry?"

"You have not been yourself since the ball. Is everything alright?"

There was a pause. Then Angelica grabbed her sister's wrist and pulled her into her room.

"If I tell you something, you mustn't tell anyone. Not father, not John, and most definitely not Eliza."

Peggy was shocked. Angelica and Eliza told each other everything. Something must be terribly wrong.

"I promise."

"Okay..."

She wrung her hands together. "I am in love with Alexander."

It came out in a rushed whisper, almost as if she regretted bringing up the whole thing.

"Hamilton?" Peggy asks. "The man Betsy danced with at the ball?"

Angelica nodded, her eyes more wet than usual. "Yes. But if I told Eliza that, she would give him to me, when she clearly loves him. I cannot take that away from her."

Peggy takes Angelica's hands into hers. "I shall not tell anyone. I swear upon it. You just need more time to find your perfect match, that is all. So do I."

The sisters hugged.

"Thank you, Peggy." Angelica sighed.

"Of course, sister."

•••

Peggy could never look at her sisters the same way again. It seemed as if Angelica's smiles were always forced when Alexander or the ball was brought up. Sadly, the ball was the biggest topic of conversation around town.

"Oh Schuyler's, what a splendid ball that was!"

"You were wonderful on the dance floor Miss Angelica, please write me a letter!"

"Oh how wonderful and kind you were Miss Margarita, if only I had been able to dance with Angelica, that would have made my evening!"

Peggy felt her heart sink. Of course. And Peggy.