Why are you Upset?

"Cortland." Came a voice. Cortland turned around to see his brother Henry, now eleven, standing in their kitchen. "Justine and I want to meet you at the stables."

Cortland's heart dropped. Back when the children were younger, they would meet at the stables when something was wrong. Something must clearly be wrong.

It was sunset as Cortland ran through his yard, the grass tickling his ankles, his shoes were short and the lawn was not.

He ran through the stables, pausing briefly to pat his favorite horse, George, on the muzzle.

"Hey Georgie." He smiled. "Wanna ride?"

"Cortland!" Came a hiss from his left. There was Justine's head, poked from around the wall.

"Go for a ride later. We have things to discuss!"

"Sorry, bud." Cortland walked over to his sister.

"Is there a reason you are crouched in the empty stable?" Cortland asked his siblings, raising an eyebrow.

Justine blushed as the two sat upright. "Old habits, I suppose."

Cortland rolled his eyes. "Well, what's the matter?"

"Mother is sick."

"Yes, she has a cold, big deal, Justine."

"But remember the last time there was a bad cold in this family?" Henry spoke up.

Cortland looked down. His grandfather had always been a sore subject for him.

"That does not mean this will be the same case."

"Yes, but you know mother, she pretends she is okay when she is not." Justine insisted.

"When did you learn that?"

"I have my ways, little brother."

Cortland resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Justine, you are fifteen. Grow up."

"Sorry I'm concerned about my family, Cortland."

"You are just jumping to conclusions."

"Jumping to conclusions?!"

"Yes." He stood up. "You are."

"Fine, go ride your stupid horse."

"George is not stupid! He has better manners than you, anyway."

Justine crossed her arms.

"Is there anything else you'd like to tell me before I leave?" Cortland asked.

There was a pause.

"What kind of name is Cortland, anyway?" Justine muttered.

"You just cannot keep your mouth shut, can you?!" Cortland screamed. "I was fine until now, when we go here to converse and make things better!"

"Then leave!" Justine stood up as well. "Go ride Gregory or whatever his name is-"

"His name is George!"

"Then go ride him!"

"I was just about to do that before you went and-"

"Guys, please!" Henry tried to break up their fight, but to no avail.

"I am leaving." Cortland announced. He took one last look around the stable, and walked out.

"That got us nowhere." Justine sighed.

Cortland ran to put on his riding gear. He always rode George when he was upset.

What if something was severely wrong with his mother? He knew it was not likely, but it had been this way since childhood. Justine would say something that would most likely never happen, and Cortland would try to not let it get to his head. But, it would get to his head, the small seed of a preposterous idea growing gradually inside his head, until that that is all that is left, besides knowing how to ride a horse.

He rode around the field countless times before nightfall came. He never noticed his sister and brother go inside, but when he walked into his home, they were at the table with his father.

Cortland walked into his kitchen. His family had very worried looks on their faces.

"What is wrong?" He asked. "Where is mother?"

"Moth-"

"Your mother is resting." Stephen cut across his daughter.  

"Resting? Is she okay?" Cortland took a seat, despite being very windswept.

"Cortland.... Your mother was cooking dinner when she collapsed."

Cortland abruptly stood up. "What?! Is she okay? Where-"

"She is fine now. She is up in our room. Do not bother her."

Cortland nodded. Obviously he would let her rest.

"It will be alright. Do not take this to heart." Stephen continued. "Just go easy on her."

The children nodded.

"Thank you. I have never been so happy so have such children." He pulled them into a hug. Behind his back, Justine flashed Cortland a look. He gave her one back.

Later, Cortland was just getting into bed when he heard a sort sniffle come from the room next door. That was Henry's bedroom.

Cortland walked inside.

"Henry?"

There was his little brother, sitting on his bed, fresh tears falling down his face. Cortland's older brother instincts kicked in.

"Henry, what is the matter?" He asked as he climbed into his bed.

"M-mother." Henry sniffed.

"Oh." Cortland pulled his brother into a hug. "Do not let Justine get to you. Mother will be alright, you heard what father said."

"But what if he's wrong?"

"What if Justine is wrong?"

"I wish you two would stop fighting." Henry whimpered.

"Oh Henry. That is like wishing the sun would always shine, or for the rain to be dry. It just will not happen."

"You do not even try. You are always bickering about something."

Cortland felt his face heat up. "I did not know it bothered you so much."

"It always has, but I just stayed quiet. I did not want to get into a fight either."

"I am sorry, Henry."

"Me too." Came a voice. Justine walked inside. "I did not mean to eavesdrop, but-"

"Save it, sister." Cortland snapped. Then be saw Henry's face. "It is okay. Come join us."

Justine smiled and sat on the other side of Henry's bed. "I am scared." She confessed.

"Me too." Cortland added. "But all we can do right now is show our support."

"I suppose so."

Henry had shut his eyes. His breathing had slowed.

Cortland lay next to him. "Why do we fight so much?"

"I am not sure." Justine confessed as she lied down as well. "I have never enjoyed it."

Cortland nodded. "Me either."

He put his arm protectively over his siblings. Justine did so as well. Before they knew it, they had nodded off, their father smiling at them, wondering what he had done to be blessed with such a family.