3) A New Bully

I am 13, almost 14. Today is my first day of high school. Nervous? Very. But as long as I have Nathan, right?

I woke up to the morning light seeping through my windows. I groaned, knowing I had to get up. I swung my legs around and went to get ready for the day.

After a warm shower, I dressed into blue skinny jeans, a white collar shirt, and a black vest over. I wore my converse and left my hair wavy.

I looked in the mirror and took a picture. "How's this, Mum?" I texted her the picture.

Right away she replied, "Perfect. Have a good day! And tell Nathan I say hi!" She sent. I smield and went downstairs.

The first thing I see? Courtney. "You're going to be late. Eat. Now." She said tossing me an apple. I caught it before it hit me. Oh Courtney. Same old same old. I remember doing this to me on my first day of Kindergarten.

"How do I look?" She asked putting her arms up. I sat on a stool and examined what she was wearing.

"Is that my sweater?"

"yeah. Let me borrow it."

"I don't really have a choice." I said and grabbed my backpack.

I sat on the steps outside my door. "Have a good day, sweetie." My dad said and patted my back as he walked out the door.

"You too, Daddy. Love you." I stood up and gave him a hug. he hugged me back and gave me a kiss on the head.

He went over to his car and drove to work. I sat back down on the steps. "Hey, Dani!" I heard Nathan's voice.

I looked to the house next to me. Nathan was running towards me. I smiled and waved. "Hey, Sykes!"

"Ready for your first day?" I asked once he caught up to me.

"Yeah. Kinda. Nervous."

"Aw. Don't be. As long as we have each other, we'll be fine." I punched his shoulder. He just laughed.

"DANI! GET YOUR *SS IN HERE!" I heard Courtney's voice. I looked at Nathan then went inside. "Here! Now!" Courtney demanded.

I walked over to her and on the ground was spilled milk. "Clean it up! NOW!" she pointed to it. She had a glass of milk in her hands.

"But you did it!" I defended.

"Don't talk back! Clean it! now!" She said pushing me to the ground. I fell on my knees. I sighed and got up. I grabbed a paper towel and wiped away Courtney's mess.

I finished and threw the paper away. I walked out the door to see Nathan waiting for me. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm used to it." I sighed.

Nathan's face turned sad. "You shouldn't have to deal with this. I am sorry I can't help." Nathan said holding my hands. I smiled  and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"You're my best friend Nathan. Thank you." I smiled. He nodded.

"Oh, before I forget. Here you go." Nathan said holding out a box.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Open it."

I did as I was told and revealed half a heart necklace. "Be- Fri- Fore -" it read.

"Where's the other half?" I asked looking up at Nathan.

He brought out his wallet and it revealed the other half. I took out the necklace and connected it to Nathan's which was in his pocket.

"Best Friends Forever." I said as the magnets of the heart connected.

"Thank you, Nathan." I gave him a hug.