Chapter 12

Daryl's POV

We walk through the tombs looking for Tyresse.

"How are you gonna tell him?" Hailey asks Rick, scuffing her shoes on the cement floors.

"I haven't planned that far yet." He answers, brushing his fingers against his empty holster, where his gun belongs.

"You do realize how mad he is gonna be, right?" I pitch in, adjusting my crossbow in hand and glancing at Hailey. Rick opens his mouth to answer back but is interrupted by Tyresse, calling for him. We run to where he was, squatting in front of something.

"Look at this. I bet whoever did this was responsible for the death of Karen and David." He says, standing up to reveal a small piece of wood with a cut open rat, pinned to it. Its insides, pouring out and causing a terrible smell, different from the walkers. I hear Hailey gag and she looks away.

"What the hell." I mutter at the sick sight in front of me.

"Tyresse, thats what we need to talk about. You see-" He is cut off by the building shaking. I grab Hailey as she almost looses her balance.

"We need to get the hell out of here!" I yell, keeping a firm grip on Hailey's arm and drag her out of the tombs. Rick and Tyresse runs after us. We get outside to be met with Violet, Luke and people crowded around the fence. I look over and see a huge hole in the side of the building and the third guard tower is on fire.

"Oh my gosh." Hailey whispers barely audible, pointing past the fence. I follow her gaze and see a tank, with people crowded around it holding guns. The Governor stands on the tank. "He has Hershel and Michonne!!" She yells, going to run forward, but it held back by Rick and me.

"I got it." Rick says. "Anything goes down, be ready to fire, I'm going to need back up." He says putting a hand on my shoulder. "Look out for Carl if anything happens." He adds, as Hailey hugs him.

"Be careful." She says, handing him his gun. He takes it hesitantly as nods, walking out the gates. I take Hailey's hand and slowly lead her over to the bin of guns. I hand one to her and pass one to Violet. Luke grabs one and we line up, our guns aimed through the fence.

"You know, I'm a pretty good shot. I could shoot him from here." Carl mutters from my left, looking through the scope. I shake my head.

"Nah, it would cause all hell to break lose, it could cost your Dad's life, Hershel's and Michonne's." I tell him, making him sigh. I glance to Hailey who is to my right. She is looking intently through her scope, at Rick. He is moving his hands around trying to negotiate with The Governor. Soon he hops down from the tank, taking Michonne's katana.

"Daryl. What is he doing!" Hailey whisper shouts to me, grabbing my bicep.

"I'm sure he is just trying to scare Rick. That's all." I tell her as calmly as possible, not really sure of what he is doing myself. He then puts the sword to Hershel's neck.

"Be calm. Get ready in case anything goes down." I tell her as she adjusts her grip on her gun, her finger hovering over the trigger. I nod to Luke and he whispers something to Violet.

I hold my breath as the thick tension laces the air.

~~~~~~~~~

Hailey's POV

I look through the scope intently at the scene.

The Governor pulls the sword back, and I let out a breath of relief, thinking that he has given into Rick's negotiating.

Before I could blink, He brings the sword down, chopping into Hershel's neck. A gasp escapes my lips, as Rick yells some things and starts to shoot.

Then I just fire off my gun, not even aiming anywhere, just shooting.

Everything goes by in a blur. This little war seems to go on for hours. I am currently, in the prison, grabbing my bag. I run back out and start to kill walkers left and right, trying to find a certain stubborn redneck.

I see Daryl throw a grenade into the tank, as the prick inside rushes to get out. Three more people from The Governor's group start to shoot at Daryl. He takes cover behind some file cabinets.

"Hey bitches!! Eat shit!" I yell shooting all three of them. I kill a walker and run up to him. He embraces me in a hug as the prick in the tank comes up. Daryl shoots him, as arrow sticks out of his chest.

"Daryl!! I can't find Beth!" Maggie says franticly, running up, tears running down her cheeks.

"I'll look for her. You get on the bus." He says as he turns to me, putting a hand on my cheek and kissing me. In that moment, I block out all the gun fires, screaming and the moans of walkers. That moment cuts short when he pulls away.

"I need you to go. Leave, and I will
find you. I promise." He tells me, almost leaving no room for retort.

"No! I am not leaving you! I-I need to find Violet! I'm not going to just leave you Daryl!" I yell, tears rolling down my cheeks. He kisses my forehead.

"You are and you will. I'll find Violet. Now Go. I love you." He says and with one last glance, he runs off. I hide behind a car, to shield me from the gunfire as I regain my composer.

I jump from a body hitting the ground and a groan of pain.

I look to my right and see Luke, clutching his leg, blood pooling in his hand. I shoot the one responsible for his wound. I tear a sheet in my bag and wrap it around his bullet wound quickly.

"Hang in there, I'll take you to saftey." I tell him, tightening the torn sheet.

"T-thank you Hailey." He says and I give him a slight nod, helping him to his feet with a grunt.

"Common." I say as I drag him towards the woods, looking back at our now destroyed home.

Clouds of smoke trails into the sky, making my heart drop.

We've lost another home.

I turn back and help him deeper into the woods, not daring to look back.

~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter! Hope you liked it though!

More soon to come!

Love you guys!

Vote. Comment. Follow.

-Katdixon6