Chapter 24

"But how can I be? I'm already falling for someone else!" I angrily scream at him as blurry mists of tears begin to rise to the outer brim of my eyes.

"You talking about Parker?" Brody merely snickers back at me.

"What's so funny?!"

"He's a straight up playa, gotta give him props though, he's got skill."

"But it's different between us! I know it! How can I be your life mate if I'm falling for him?!"

"Easy, it's your human half that craves him and your Divames half that wants me."

"Shut up! I don't want you! I want Parker!"

"*scoffs* Stop lying to yourself, you know that me and you belong together."

"No, we don't! We might be life mates, but I sure don't love you!"

"It doesn't matter. Your job is to give birth to a female Divames."

"Well I don't want that job! Find someone else to do that then! There are plenty of other male Divames that can find their life mate! Why is it up to me to save your whole race!"

"Because time isn't on our hands! I'm already nearing 100, 100 more years and I'll be corrupt. We stumbled upon each other accidentally. I've been searching for my life mate for 100 years! It's not easy! The others are older than me, their chances are even slimmer! Plus your mother helped us, and borne you! It's your turn now!"

"Well my mother loved him! I don't love you! I'm falling for someone else, there's no way that I can be with you! I want to help, but I don't want to be pregnant. I'm only 17! This is not fair!"

"Life isn't fair Lacey. You need to help us. We are a dying race. In fact, my good friend, Audric, his time comes tomorrow."

"Well I'm sorry for your friend! But I can't help you! I know that I sound selfish and childish, but I just can't do what you require of me!"

A sudden smack against the wall turns our attention to the source of the sound. Standing under the door frame are The Elders. They stand in a triangle formation. Leading the front is the female and the two males stand beside her. Her stern expression slices through me like a knife would on warm butter. I look away from her, wanting to avoid those eyes of hers, eyes of knowledge, wisdom, and pride. I can't help but feel a pang of guilt pulse through me as she continuously stares at me. Just by standing there, I can heard the silent words she's berating at me. I merely attempt to turn away and hide my pitiful embarrassment from those eyes. Yes, I am being selfish, but I have a right to. Both Brody and I present strong demanding cases, which should be addressed in an appropriate and sufficient manner. I can't throw my future away for this. The silence prolongs, as if it is bending the time and space continuum for its own will, causing myself to be in the utmost uncomfortable state. I try and swallow the nervous lump that has formed in my throat; it sticks and only makes me feel shakier. It isn't common for me to feel this nervous, but the way she looks at me makes me feel this certain way. I can't exactly describe this feeling that she brings me, but it's a feeling that I do not wish to encounter anytime in the near future, better yet, never again.

"Is everything alright?" asks the female. She acted like no time passed between, as if she had just opened the doors to the room.

"Not exactly, my lady. She does not wish to follow what we would like her to follow."

"Obviously. Your bickering was projecting like an amplifier throughout the halls."

"Sorry, my lady. We did not mean to cause trouble."

"I certainly hope so. Now what seems to be the problem?"

"Well she..."

"Nah-uh-uh, Nanette can answer for herself. She has a mouth and a voice, now doesn't she?"