Chapter 14

Suspension day 2, 10 more days to go

"Ahh, fuck this," I say under my breath.

The pencil in my hand scatters onto the table as I kick my feet up onto the chair ahead of me. I hate this test. It's so stupid. Like seriously, who gives a crap about French. No one even speaks it. So remind me why I have to learn it? I raise my hand signaling the teacher to come over to me. He puts a fat pudgy finger to his lips as he shushes me. He reminds me so much of Peter Griffin from Family Guy. He's got the hair cut and even the belly. Replica, I swear.

"Bathroom," I mouth at him.

He looks at me disapprovingly, silently asking me if it's an emergency. 

I hold my stomach and lurch forward onto my desk. Acting like I have really bad cramps.

He immediately nods at my action and hands me a hall pass.

My face is serious and agonizing, but underneath I'm smirking. You can never go wrong with the "it's my time of the month" card. I open the door and allow it to click gently behind me. Hmm, what shall I do? Skipping with Parker sounds like fun? We talked about yesterday's mishap and we kind of sorted it out. I didn't admit that I felt anything for him. I mean I don't. He's hot and whatever, but I mean no big deal. He's a player. He's probably just messing with me. Like he said, it's nice to have someone of your own kind around. I should probably keep my distance. I mean I'm already off the case. Am I seriously coming to school to see him? Yeah...I guess I am. 

I shake my head. I'm acting like a typical teenage girl. Get it together Lacey. You're better than this. Better than him. I walk down the halls, wandering aimlessly. When suddenly a chilling voice eerily creeps upon me.

"Come here." A masculine voice whispers alluringly in my head.

The tone, the sound, the blood lust feel. It's the same as it was from Pulse. Brody...I feel immobile and a little scared. I'm not scared of many things. But that voice...it was something different. He was something different. I struggle between deciding if I should be afraid or not. The encounter at Pulse and that one morning were two completely different feelings. That morning...I hungered him. I felt this urge to devour his soul.. Is he dangerous? He didn't harm me before..but this time he seems hungry, very hungry. Even though it's just a voice I can feel the hunger and desire to kill. The desire for the rustic taste of blood. 

"Come...come...come." This time it spoke more desperately..I could feel the linger of hunger melting in the voice.

My whole body stands on edge, my nerves shaking a little. Evidently, my feet seem to unfreeze as they follow the alluring voice.

"That's right. Come here," He slurs.

No! I shout at my feet, but they seem to have a mind of their own. It's the voice; it's luring me towards its speaker...The voice is like a hypnotic spell. It must be communication by telepathy I reason out. In order to release myself from the hypnosis I need to block the voice out of my head by setting up a barrier.

During my training in The Society, they teach you how to block out telepathies. This should be easy. I aced at blocking out telepathies. The Society found it odd that it was so easy for me. It took barely any effort, while others took years to master it. I accomplished the skill on my first try.

I avert my attention and focus to drawing up energy to my brain. The amount of joules of energy sent to  the brain determines the force of your barrier. The brain can safely handle at maximum 50 joules of energy. At that level there will be negative side-effects but any more than 50 would cause the brain to overheat and result in brain damage. It's a risky skill to learn, but once mastered, it's quite useful. I send up 20 joules. It's enough to easily block out any telepathic.

Effortlessly I draw up 20 joules and send it.

"Come..." it speaks more sinisterly. 

My feet respond to the command.

What the eff? My barrier was strong enough...how'd the telepathic get through? Perhaps it's a more experienced one? The more experienced of a telepathic you are, the harder it is for the opposing force to create an effective barrier. Okay, then, 30 joules of energy.

"Come here...comeee." 

The reverberating steps of my feet pick up their speed.

Shit! That should have worked! Okay, 40 joules then, this has to work!

"Closerrrr. Come to me..." 

My steps continue down the long, empty, corridor. The hypnotic spell wasn't breaking. In fact, it seemed to intensify.

50 joules, I say to myself shaking. That's so risky, but I have to take it. I'd rather risk the chance of brain damage than find out what's in store for me on the other end of that voice. Even if I did get close enough for combat...if they can control my feet like this...I'm practically useless. There's no other way. The voice didn't sound human anymore. It has developed into a malicious, monstrous tone. I am beginning to feel fear now.

"COME!" the hungry voice shouts like a starving beast in my head. Begging me to quench it hunger and envelop into its depravity. 

My breath comes out slightly labored as my feet pick up into a run.

No! I can't allow myself to succumb to that voice! UGH! I'm going to have to use more than 50 joules! It's a chance I'm going to have to take! Who is so powerful that they can overcome the barrier of 50 joules? No one in the history of telepathies have been that strong. You would have to have so much control and skill to master a talent such as that. Many years would have to be applied, a life time...literally.. I inhale a deep breath as I send up 55 joules of energy. My brain immediately rejects that amount of energy, which sends me into a tumble onto my back. Shock races up my spin as my nerves swivel frantically back and forth. But still, my fall doesn't falter my movement towards the voice. My nails and knees crawl at the floor as I reach closer to the voice. It gets my louder in my head. Each time it sounds more hungry and desperate than before. A small whimper traces up my throat as I try to suppress it down into me. I have to try again. I have to!

I close my eyes to focus. A rush of energy vibrates in my bones as it travels up a channel to my brain. My overheating brain tries again to reject that energy. I hold on, pushing that 5 joules of energy onto the already 50 joules energy barrier. My sight starts to blur as I feel woozy. Massive amounts of heat radiates in my head, giving me a terrible headache. I want to dismiss the feeling, but I can't. If I do, Brody, I mean..the monster on the other end will swallow me whole. I can no longer feel humanity in the voice. Just pure hunger and blood lust. I can already feel my body weakening...draining... The joules of energy sent up to the brain is derived from my body. The body can only take so much energy usage at one point of time. That's another reason why 50 is the maximum. Weakness succumbs all over me as I continue to crawl towards the sinister voice. It feels like my body is in a raging fire that is about to incinerate my body into a million shards of ashes. Beads of sweat form at my hairline as I struggle to keep up my barrier. Slowly, I can feel my energy evaporating from me. I feel totally sucked dry and helpless.

As my last and futile attempt, I forcefully scream in my head, "LEAVE!"

The 55 joules of energy shatters into a million sharp pieces as they surge forward to the other end. In my mind I can feel that I hit something, someone, hard. Resulting in a huge amount of pain from the other end. An image pushes roughly into my head. I see two piercing red eyes staring at me hungrily. Below the burning red eyes is a mouth opening and closing. A set of sharpened daggered teeth scrape against each other. All prepared to tear me into stringy pieces.

I breathe heavily as my normal vision slowly returns to me, and the malevolent image disappears. I look up to see a figure leaning against a locker. The figure is profusely rubbing its head. He's muscular, with dark hair, and dark eyes.  Hastily, I jump to my feet and race down the opposite way, not daring to look back. It was Brody. Why is he after me? I'm so confused. What does this all mean? My legs wobble as I run down the hallway, terrified. A few lockers come into my way and create bruises along my arms and side. But I don't care, I just want to get away...