Chapter 3

Loud music reverberates in my blood as I walk into Pulse. The smell of alcohol and sweat is eminent. Bodies are pulsating to the beat of the music. I can feel the fervid heat radiate off every individual, and mixed in is the intoxicating sound of drunken ecstasy. My ear drums slightly cringe under the impounding music. The bright lights blind me momentarily. When I regain vision, I see that Parker is making his way towards me.

 "Hey, glad you came. We're just about to go on."

He grabs my arm and drags me to the front row. He gives me a smile, flashing those perfect teeth, and then hops onto stage. He slings on his guitar and stands for a few moments, relishing the spotlight and enthusiasm emanating from the crowd. With his first strum, the hairs on my arm prick up. Not because of the music, but because something felt wrong. I lick my lips, and I can almost taste something different in the atmosphere. The taste was ominous, but at the same time sweet. I scan the crowd, looking for the source of my chills. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Everyone is enjoying the music. Then an image flashes across my mind. I shudder. The only thing I could make out of the image was the feeling of crazed blood lust. There was a certain urgency and almost hunger...I look around frantically. I look towards the stage and see Parker staring at me questionably. 'Sorry,' I mouth. I dash into the crowd, searching for...I don't know what, but this feeling, I can't shake it.

"Enfh," I run into someone.

"Whoa oh, you okay there?"

I look up and see a board shouldered boy. He has dark curly Adonis like hair and a beautiful face that would even make a Greek God jealous.

 "Hey, you're the new girl right?"

 His voice is smooth like velvet, but with a strong underlying masculine tone.

 I open my mouth to reply, but I suddenly, I get the same image again. I look with wide eyes at the beautiful boy. The sweet and ominous taste is radiating strongly from him. What's going on? What is this strong feeling? Who is this?

 "Um yeah I am...Who are you?"

 "Don't worry about that. I want to know who you are." A strange sweet and persuasive tone slips in his voice.

 "Oh I'm..." For some reason I feel a little hesitant to tell him my name. Something about him made me feel almost scared. I suck in a breath. Nothing to be afraid of Lacey. You are a top Polynatural.

"I'm Lacey." I finally reply.

Then, from the corner of my eye, I see an intoxicated girl clumsily make her way through the crowd.  As I try to avoid her drunken path, she missteps and shoves me right into him. He catches me in his arms. I feel my heart skip a beat. His arms are strong and muscular, and the way he catches me is almost protective. The inside of me is suddenly getting very hot and tense. I get the image again, but this time I hear words...."Kill, kill, kill..."

"You're just everywhere tonight, aren't you?" He jokes lightheartedly. "Hey why don't you say we get out of here." He gives me his most charming smile, but to me, it comes off a little dark and sinister.

"Um, I don't know. I mean I don't really know you." The strange vibe I'm getting from the stranger is making me feel very caution, but curious as well.

He then looks down into my eyes and stares very intently. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me?" His voice has changed into a slow and demanding tone. There's a hint of allure behind his speech.

I look at him with very wide eyes. My instincts tell me that something is wrong; that I should maintain a distance. But, I need to find out what's going on. Maybe he's a psychopath, hungry for murder, or maybe something else entirely. Whatever he is, he's a threat. And isn't the job of the society to protect humans and battle against things like this?