Chapter 17

"Lacey..." a handsome voice trails in my ear.

My eyelids gently open. The image produced in my vision is of an angel. I gawk at its beauty. Am I in heaven?

"Lacey..."

The lips of the angel caress around my name, making it sound ever so lovely.

"Lacey..." it speaks again.

Its voice is like a song that I would replay over and over again. I would never grow old of it. I can't help but commit to a warm smile. The angel smiles back.

Parker's POV 

The tapping of my feet against the tiled emergency floor annoys me. It's a nervous habit. I try to stop, but I fail miserably. Lacey has been unconscious for seven days straight. Everyday after school, I would come here to see if she's woken up yet. Of course, I'm not exactly welcome here. The only reason they let me in is probably because I potentially saved Lacey's life. But I don't give a dam about what they think. My sole purpose for being here is to see if Lacey is okay. The healers here say she's going to be fine, but it doesn't look that way.

That day, when I rushed her in here, is one memory I wish to forget. She was so pale that day, like all the life had been sucked out of her. I wanted to help her, and when I couldn't, I felt so weak and pathetic. My hands ruffle through my hair as I abruptly stand up. I walk to where Lacey is laying. She lays there with her arms by her side and a plain expression on her face. It's the same plain expression that she's had for seven days straight. I look at her, laying there. I can't tell if she's at peace in her mind or if she's off fighting the struggle. Her dark hair encircles her face and lay in a tumble around her neck. I allow myself to brush my hand slightly on her soft cheek.

"Lacey..." I whisper her name to myself.

A small twitch comes from the corner of her eyelid.

"Lacey..." I repeat again, this time with some desperation.

Like the unfolding of spring, her eyelids open to reveal those glossy eyes of hers. I stare into them, mesmerized by their intensity.

"Lacey..." I speak again.

A pleasant smile forms across her lips as she looks at me contently. I can't help but return the smile.

----------------------

"Hello Lacey."

"Hello Parker."

Parker takes his hand and rubs it gently against my cheek. I close my eyes and take his hand in my mine. The small contact comforts me, making me feel like everything is alright. He leans down and kisses my fingers. His soft lips linger on my skin. Every body particle located there stands up, reacting to his action.

"How do you feel?"

"Not bad."

"Oh well I'm glad you're alright."

"Yeah me too..."

"Hey, why don't you come with me and we go somewhere fun?" A bright light goes off in Parker's eyes and he looks down at me childishly.

"Boy, I just woke up!"

"Girl, you have been in bed too long. It's time for me to take you out."

"Remember what happened last time you did?"

I try to make it sound like a joke but Parker takes it the wrong way.

"Oh...well never mind then. I'll just uh...go."

"Parker...I didn't mean it like that."

"No whatever...."

"Parker.."

"Talk to you later Lacey."

Parker walks out of the door as I sit in the bed with my palms facing up. Great job Lacey! Now you did it. I stare at the door glumly, wishing Parker didn't leave. Why couldn't you keep quiet? No, you just couldn't could you? You have to say something stupid. I throw my head back into my pillow and inhale the smell of...chicken soup? I immediately sit up, thinking that it's Parker back with chicken soup.

"Oh..." I say at the sight.

"Oh? How about a hey?"

"Hey Boss."

"That's more like it. Chicken soup?"

I nod my head, eager to get some food in my system. As I slurp my soup I ask The Boss some questions.

"Hey Boss, do they know what happened to me?"

"Well, I don't think I should be the one to tell you about this."

"Why's that?"

"It's...not my job. You'll know soon."

"When's soon?"

"Hmm...The board is thinking the day when you get off of your suspension."

"Oh, by the way, how many days of that do I have left?"

"Two."

"Wow, I was out that long..."

"Yeah. Well I have to go to an important meeting discussing this. Enjoy you're soup, and I'm glad you're better Lacey."

The Boss gives me a quick kiss on the top of my head, like a father would give to his dear child. He then walks out, leaving me alone, again...

"Hello Lacey, feeling okay?" asks the healer that just walked in.

"Yeah."

"Oh, I see that fella finally left."

I cock my head inquisitively at her, wondering what she was talking about.

"The young man that saved you. He comes here everyday to see you. He seems like a sweet boy."

Parker? Parker came here everyday to see me?

"Well it looks like you're all good. If you need anything just buzz me and I'll be here."

"Okay." I simply reply. 

Hmm...I didn't think Parker cared that much. I mean he did tell me that I was important to him...Hmm, I should have taken him up on his offer. I'm going to call him. I grab my cellphone from the table and dial his number. I wait for his voice to answer, but it goes straight to voicemail.

"Hey Parker, it's Lacey. Come get me and show me a good time. Lov-"

I hang up quickly before I can finish my last sentence. I smack my hand across my mouth. I almost said the L word. I don't love him. He's just some stupid player boy...a really handsome stupid player boy...a really handsome stupid play boy that saved my life and who I really connect with. Okay dam, maybe i'm a little whipped. But I don't love him. No. I can't possibly. I don't even know if he likes me yet.