Chapter 9

Blood and dirt gather beneath my nails as I hurriedly crawl to the exit of the shaft. I feel like a coward, but at the same time, running is probably the smartest option. That powerful surge of energy...I can feel it rattling in my bones. It made every fiber of my being stand on edge. There was no way I was going to stay behind and find out. Up ahead, a small light emits from the entrance. It does not make me feel relieved. Those two things are still back there, and who knows, there might be more. I peep my head out of the hole, scanning the area. No sign of danger, still the same old alley, full of damp polluted water and musty air. I climb out cautiously. All my senses are on high alert. I reach my hand into the crevice and push the button, closing the door, sealing the dangers inside. Well hopefully...I replace the brick hiding the crevice, jamming it in there. Carefully, my eyes do a full search of my surroundings, still a little paranoid. Neither The Boss or Parker are in sight. Good. They need to be far away and safe. But with The Boss's condition, they couldn't have gone far. That worries me. My feet kick off from the ground as I dash off in search of them.

Where could those two be? I worriedly look in all directions. Oh no...what if they were captured by those hooded figures...Oh please no. My pace quickens as I run down a street. I frantically search every alley way, every block, every building. No sign of them anywhere. Oh my god, where are they? Those figures better not have them! I don't think I couldn't Parker and The Boss getting more wounds and bruises or enduring immense amounts of pain. I swear, if those figures get them and harm even a single hair on them I will break every bone in their wretched bodies! I will make them wish they never captured Parker and The Boss. Ugh! I need to find Parker and The Boss! What am I going to do? Should I ask people? What would I say? Hey, have you seen a shirtless boy and a bloody middle aged guy hobbling down the streets? People would look at me crazy and walk off. Well they already are. My hair is hot tranny mess. It's matted down on my sweat bearing face. I'm in a tattered shirt with blood stained jeans...That's attractive...Ugh! This is so frustrating! They couldn't have gone far. Where could they be?

I hesitantly skid to a halt and bend my knees to rest. My breath goes in and out in sharp, uneven, gasps. The air rushing in the back of my throat pains me slightly. I can feel my heart pounding harshly against my chest, screaming for me to rest. It's exhausting running everywhere. This process is too slow and I'm getting no where with it. I'm just wasting time and what little energy I have left. I can't just be running around like this. I need...I need...UGH! What do I need?! I need The Boss, I need Parker, I need all of this to not be happening, I need my mom...This is so frustrating! I can't even think straight! Ugh! I snap my eyes shut, struggling to concentrate. Okay, if I was Parker where would I take an injured middle aged man? Where is a safe place? The car...yes, I need to check there.

Hurriedly, I run straight to the car. I see two lumps in the window. One is hunched over while the other is nervously fidgeting. Oh god...I stop in my tracks as I scrutinize the forms. I can't make out much. I decide to slow down my pace and try to catch my breath. Cautiously and carefully, I inch closer to the car. I keep my body down low, not wanting to be seen. My body arches into a hunch as I creep silently closer. There's no way these could be the hooded figures right...I draw closer and closer slowly creeping up to the car. As I draw near, I am able to make out a few features. A sharp breath hits my lungs as my hand comes to my mouth. I realize who the two figures are. A smile of relief grows across my face. I don't care how exhausted I am. Right now, I just want to embrace them.

I slam my whole body into the car door, banging on the window in pure excitement. The fidgeting boy jumps and turns his head toward me. His beautifully colored eyes are wide with fear, but then they soften. A huge smile is painted broadly on his perfect face. I look down to see The Boss. He's trying to smile, but results with a half grimace half smile. A grotesque attempt, but I appreciate his effort.

I get into the car, not saying anything. No words are needed; my facial expression speaks for itself. However, happiness doesn't last long. The Boss's wrapped up in torn shirts reminds me that he needs help. My face relaxes back into seriousness and worry as I begin to speak.

"Boss, where are the others?"

"I don't know...I was left there to....never mind. Just take me to my house."

"But you need to get patched up!" I protest.

"My wife can do it. She's a healer."

"Okay. Drive Parker. I'll give you directions."

He nods, obeying my demand.

I ring the doorbell multiple times, as I impatiently wait for his wife to answer. She opens the door with a sweet smile on her face, but that smile disappears in a flash. I watch as her eyes, swimming with worry, scan his entire body. Her mouth is slightly gaped open. It opens and closes repeatedly in shock. Then, without hesitation, the weight of The Boss slides off my shoulder and onto hers, as she takes him in. Immediately, she sets him onto the bed in the guest room. I can hear him hold back grunts of pain as he is being put onto the bed. She takes the elastic band off from her wrist and ties her flouncy chestnut hair back. Skillfully, she rolls up her sleeves and puts her hands gently on his legs. Her eye lashes cast a shadow underneath her eyes, as she flutters them shut. Her delicate hands illuminate a soft, opaque white color as she begins to heal him. After a few seconds have elapsed, she undos the blood soaked bandages. She motions me to come and take it. I walk up obediently, taking the wet, deep, red bandages. My eyes flicker onto The Boss's leg. It is normal, flawless. As if nothing had happened. She continues the process effortlessly. Then, her eyes get very fearful and wide as she unwraps the bandage on his arm. Her eyes narrow as she studies the brand. Gently, her fingers trace the words, but they stop at the signature. She sucks in a deep breathe and sits there, making eye contact with The Boss. They exchange a silent conversation, leaving me perplexed and confused about the situation.

Then, the door bell rings. Her eyes close for a short second, and then she gracefully stands up to answer the door. A tall man in a suit walks in. He has a strong jaw line and firmly set eyes. His broad shoulders make him appear large and his prominent nose protrudes sharply out of his face. It's Birch Willingham. He's one of The Society's board members. Board members never come to meet us. Why is he here? What does he want? He is most definitely not here to see if The Boss is alright. They could care less.

Birch Willingham walks into the room with strong strides.

He looks at me and then the soaked blood filled bandages in my hand. Birch gestures his head to the door, asking me silently to leave. I nod at his response.

As I close the door behind me I manage to hear one sentence being spoken by Birch.

"Did they get the AGS files?"