Chapter 34

It's been a couple of days since I've really spoken to Parker. Of course there was a lot to talk about, but that didn't mean we said any of it. My time spent down in the Divames dwelling allowed me to hone in a new skill, reading the mind. It was quite simple with Divames for they were all on the same frequency wave. I've peered into the minds of humans but I'm only able to catch snippets or fragments. I frequently take glances into Parker's. It's always why? How could you? You didn't need to. And things along those lines. At first I tried answering those questions, but it was like he didn't hear what I said. He would occasionally throw me a glance of confusion, but would brush it away quickly before anyone saw. He's been hanging around with his boys lately. And me? Well I had wanted to stay at home, but that would only leave me to my thoughts, so I decided to resume my cover as a student. Sure there were questions about where I've been and who I am and where I come from, but I just lie my way out, it's pretty simple, honestly. I've made a few acquaintances, but most people are either a) slightly timid about me b) jealous or c) curious. One girl seems to have a particular liking towards me. She didn't see me as different, rather the same as everyone else. Her name's Mindy, or what I like to refer to her as, Chatterbox. She is one of those girls who won't stop talking and always have the latest gossip. It could get quite annoying sometimes but hey, at least it would keep my mind occupied.

I sit at lunch with a half empty stomach. I haven't been in the mood to consume a lot lately. I sit with Mindy and her group of friends, interesting group of people I must say. There is Danielle with her nose buried into a sketchpad, constantly creating masterpieces. I'll tell ya, that girl has potential. Mary, slightly quiet, but would always say an occasional intellectual thing, once in awhile. The twins, Janice and Janet, sweet girls, almost too sweet. And then Mindy, the chatterbox. I slightly listen to Mindy talking about some teacher she was having trouble with, she asks my opinion and I merely shrug my shoulders and say, "Ehh, He's alright." She begins to complain about him again, but stops mid sentence when someone coughs attentively behind me. Her eyes glance up and then back down. I look at her confusingly and then drop my head back, looking to see what Mindy was looking at. There are four girls, one standing front and center of the group. She's a blonde haired girl with a snobbish appearance, looking at me, awaiting my attention.

"Yes?" I say.

She looks at me, slightly annoyed with my tone of voice.

"Look, we don't ever do this, but we want you to sit with us at lunch. This is a one time invitation, so make the right choice the first time, cause there won't be a second."

I scoff at her. "I need an invitation to sit with you guys?" I say in a sarcastic manner.

"Are you refusing our offer?" She speaks in the bitchiest manner possible.

Before I can say anything Mindy interrupts.

"Excuse us, Tiffany," she says and then pulls me to the side.

I watch Tiffany roll her eyes at Mindy's comment, obviously not caring about what she has to say.

"Okay, whatever. We'll be at our table." And with that, Tiffany and her posse walk back towards their table.

"What was that?" Mindy asks, knocking me against my arm.

"What do you mean?"

"Those are The Elite, they never invite anyone to their lunch table. They are the most popular girls at school."

"Hah, what is this? Freakin Mean Girls? And screw popularity, its overrated."

"Come on Lacey go sit with them." She looks over at that table longingly and then returns her gaze back to me.

"Honestly, I don't care, but you seem to want to, why don't you go sit with them?"

"Oh no I can't. See The Elite have to invite you to sit with them. There are four of them, Tiffany, she's the head girl, and Amber, Jessica, and Maddie are the rest."

"What about the other four girls sitting at their table?"

"Oh them, there are just their minions."

"Haha, are you serious? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.."

"Well everyone wants to be in The Elite or at least hangout with them."

"That's absurd. I'm not going over there."

"Lacey...I think you should," She looks over there with longing again. "For me?" she adds.

I skeptically look over to The Elite's table and then back at Mindy. She pleadingly looks at me with her eyes. "Ughh, are you serious?" I ask.

She nods her head.

"Fine..." I let out an exasperated sigh as I roll my eyes.

I walk over to The Elite's table. Tiffany sees me coming and looks over to the girl sitting across from her. The girl, I suspect to be her minion nods back, grabs a chair, and places it beside Tiffany. Tiffany smiles at me warmly.

"Good choice," she says.

I nod and sit down in the chair beside her. 

"The names's Tiffany, and they are Amber, Maddie, and Jessica."

I smile at them. They have the same warm smile as Tiffany.

"You're Lacey right?" says Tiffany.

"Yeah."

"So where are you from?" asks Amber.

"This small town in California."

"Ohh, so why'd you move?"

"Dad's job."

"Do you like it here?"

"Yeah, it's pretty good."

"Good." Amber smiles warmly at me again.

"Okay, so I'm having the annual spring bash at my house this weekend, do you want to come Lacey?" asks Tiffany.

"Yeah, sure, sounds like fun."

"Great, it starts at 9. I'll text you the address."

"It's one of the biggest and most exclusive parties of the year, you're going to like it," pipes in Tiffany's minion.

Tiffany then stares her down, causing her to be silent.

"Oh and don't bring any plus ones, it's a guest list, invitation only thing."

I nod, understanding Tiffany's statement.

This is ridiculous. I guess this is what high school is like. It feels kind of weird to feel a little bit normal...for once in my life.