Chapter 27

I can't help but let a tear trail down my cheek. I haven't heard from her since she disappeared ten years ago. I knew she didn't die, but was she really alive? Oh mom, I've missed you. The letter between my hands tremble as I begin to gently tear open the letter, for the fear of ripping the only thing that connected me to her.

June 10, 1993

Dear Lacey Nanette Gordan, 

Hello my love, this is your mother. If you have been given this letter it means that you have been told the deed in which you are required to do and that I am unable to tell you. I'm sorry my dear if you have received this letter. There are reasons why that I can't be there, I apologize. I know an apology is nothing, but I hope you know that I love you very much. But I have not written this letter just to tell you how much I love you and how sorry I am for not being able to be here. Neither have I written this to persuade you to do the deed. It is up to your entirely. When I took the responsibility to do it, I did it because I love your father. But you, dear child, I do not know where your heart lies. Right now you're just a bundle lying in my arms. How pretty you look with your dark hair and your beautiful shining eyes. You have your father's hair and my eyes, oh how beautiful you are. When you grow into a lady, you will be a beauty to all those that surround you. My darling, I have gotten off track again, let me resume my reason for writing this. You are most likely troubled by the fact that you have to give birth to a female Divames. Like I said before, you might be in love, like I was, with your mate or perhaps you have fallen for someone else, for you are half human, half Divames. And of course, I'm sure the female Elder isn't giving you the nicest time. She didn't give me a good one either. She opposed of our relationship and wanted me and your father to be separate, but we didn't. We stayed together and had a child like you. That's when she saw a greater good and approved of us. She wanted you to give birth to a female like I did. I refused at first. I didn't want you to be put in that position, it's unfair. But then I thought of everyone, your father's family, his own kind. If I didn't help them, who would? Could I allow your father's family to die away? No. I love him too much. I'm sure you understand. If your whole kind was about to die with no hope, what would you do? I did it out of love for your father. However, that doesn't me I'm forcing you into this situation. I merely agreed that you can be used for this purpose, but the decision lies with you. I know you will make the correct one my dear. I can tell already that you are going to be a good person. Again I'm sorry that you have to go through life without me and be put in this situation. If you choose to refuse it, I'll support your decision all the way. Whatever you decide in the end I will always support it. Just know that I love you my dear and I wish you the best.

With lots of love, 

Your Mother

I can't hold it anymore. I just can't. The waterworks pour out from my eyes, but I pull the letter away, not letting my own salty tears ruin the last thing I have of my mother. I don't know why I thought this letter was recent. Wishful thinking...But this letter was written 17 years ago. Mom, where are you?

A pair of strong arm wraps around my shoulder and pulls me in. It's Brody. His one hand still clutches the ashes and his other hand is wrapped around me. I bury my head into his firm chest, just wanting to cry my heart out.

"Ugh," scoffs the female elder.

I shoot an angry stare at her through the blur of my tears.

"Don't judge me! You old witch! You have no idea!" I scream at her.

"How dare you speak those fowl words! You have no right to talk to me in that manner!"

Before I can shout another insult at her Brody muffles my mouth with his chest.

"Shh, Lacey, calm down. I'm here. Everything is going to be okay."

"mhmmphmphhh"

Because I can't talk I communicate with him via telepathy. "How can you say that? My mother is gone. I have to give birth to a female with you, but my heart isn't in this. I think my heart belongs to someone else. How can you say everything is going to be okay?!"

"Look Lacey, I've been thinking about this situation and I've come up with a plan."

"You have?"

"Yes, but right now is neither the time or place to talk about it. Come by my room tonight and we shall discuss it."

"Okay." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parker's POV

(Reminder: This is the night of his birthday, the night when Lacey disappeared. The Boss has just finished explaining to Parker what Lacey is.)

"So...she's a Divames.." I say as I swallow the big fat lump forming in my throat.

"Yes, Parker. I'm sorry you had to find out this way. The Society was going to tell her once her probation expired, but seeing now that she has disappeared, it complicates things. Well I wouldn't say disappeared. Judging on the blood stains left, I'm thinking that she fell into a trap and was kidnapped. But what could they possibly want with her?"

"I don't know, but we have to find her!"

"Finding her is easy, but taking her back from the Divames, might be tricky."

"What do you mean?"

"Like us, Divames also have abilities, but their abilities outnumber ours. Every one of them can manipulate the elements of the earth. Their telepathy to humans is like hypnosis. The Society has only come into contact with a few, but they have proven to be difficult. And who knows how many of them there are? What if there's a whole coven of them? Going head first into there is like walking blindfolded into a mine field!"

"Well, what do you suggest to do then?"

"Our options are limited. Seeing that Lacey is quite essential to this organization we shall be calling in our top supernaturals to deal with this matter. However, we must be quiet about this matter, if The Society's board got involved this would get out of hand."

"Is that all you care about? How essential she is to The Society?"

"Of course not silly boy! I raised her when she was but only a small child, you don't think this is ripping me on the inside?! But we can't allow ourselves to make rash and foolish decisions. I've come up with an idea. We will call in our top supernaturals, but we must keep it inconspicuous. To do this we need to get to headquarters. Also at headquarters we will use the Energy Finder to locate her location."

"What's an Energy Finder?"

"The Energy Finder can sense every supernatural being in the world. We merely need to type in her name and she will be located."

"Okay, let's do this then!"

"But there's a problem. Headquarters is a day's drive away, and to get all the top supernaturals at one meeting spot is going to take at least a day."

"So what are you saying then?"

"It might take some time before we can get her."

"How much time?!"

"Around 3-4 days at most."

"3-4 days! That's too long! What if something happens to her?! What if it's already too late!"

"Look Parker, I'm concerned too, but I wouldn't have either one of us charging head first into the situation. Its dangerous and would could potentially die. Now either one of us dying would not contribute to the goal of getting Lacey back, now would it?"

"No, but still...3-4 days..."

"I know Parker, but it's best we can do."