Chapter Ten

Last chapter before epilogue.

I wanted to make it longer, but I'm not entirely focused on obsessing over A7X, and it bothers me heavily if I have an open story and I want to start a new one. If I'm going to write, be focused on one. And that's probably all I have time for.

School is a pain.

________________

Chapter Ten

Olive's POV

 "What is it, sweetie?"

Hearing my true mother's voice again was comforting. It honestly, surprisingly, was. I had never spoken to her since the day she disowned my six months ago. I was surprised she even called me sweetie.

"Sweetie?" I asked, repeating my thoughts.

She was quiet for a second. "I'm your mother. Not your mom. But I still think I have the ability to call my daughter sweetie."

"I guess you're right. But, back to what I was saying. I got a boyfriend and he...he's kind of in jail. So are his friends. The bail is 500 doll--"

"I'm sorry, sweetie. Your father took a massive paycut when he got moved down at the factory. We're down a thousand dollars. We had to move to an apartment. I can't help you out. I'm sorry," she repeated, sighing.

 "I wasn't asking for money."

She sounded surprised. "Then why are you telling me this?"

 "I need you to help me figure out how to raise enough money to bust my boyfriend and his friends out of jail."

She was quiet for a second before answering. "Well, he should do something to raise money. Anything. Does he have any talents?"

"He's in a band."

"Great! Put them on somewhere and use the money earned to their bail! I might be able to scrape 100 dollars, but that's my limit. Everything else has to be earned," she sighed.

"Mom, you're a genius."

"Thank you." She was silent again, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Had we lost connection? "Hello? Mom?"

"I miss you, Olive."

This struck a chord.

She had never said she missed me. She used to be the bain of my existence. But, now...now she was being nice to me. She was actually treating me like a daughter.

I sucked in a deep breath. "I miss you too."

"I'm sorry I drove you out a couple months ago. I was just under a lot of stress, and I was pushing too much on you financially. But I can tell you're happier with the Williams'. So you can stay. Just know I still love you."

"I still love you too." These words surprised me. I never would've said that months ago. But, now...my mother made a mistake.

Mistakes are meant to be forgiven.

"I have to go. Your father's on the phone with insurance and he's yelling. Bye, sweetheart."

"Bye, Mom." I clicked 'End' and set the phone down on my bed, looking down at my feet dangling off of my bed.

Now I just had to figure out how to get them to play a show.

~*~

"A show? Baby, you're a genius."