Chapter Fifteen "See You Later"

The day ended faster than I thought and I was upset when I came to a home full of packed boxes. I sighed helping my mother load them into the car. "Mallory, I know this is difficult for you, but we will be back," she said as I put the last box in.

"They'll find him, it will all be ok," she said as she walked to the drivers seat. We were leaving tonight, it was easier to not say goodbye to the boys. It would only make it harder to leave.

I was about to get into the car when I heard people running and shouting "Mallory!"

"Wait, Mallory."

"Don't leave!"

I turned around and noticed the three boys running toward me. "You really thought we would let you leave without saying goodbye?" Teddy asked while giving me a bone crushing hug. The rest of the guys threw their arms over my shoulders and we group hugged.

I pulled away and say in the passenger seat closing the door. I rolled down the window and waved to them "this isn't goodbye, so see you later," I smiled and they waved back as my mom pulled out of the drive way.

"I miss them already," I sighed.

My mom and I drove up to the border of Oregon, we were staying by my moms childhood home right next to Washington. When we got there we put the boxes in the home and I went to my temporary room.

I decided to push all the drama from Castle Rock aside, I was just focusing on me. Maybe my mom was right, maybe I should reinvent myself. I could change my look, change my name. I smiled at the thought.

I sat down at my vanity, I could dye my black hair to a blonde, cut it. I could start wearing more makeup and dresses! Maybe this wasn't so bad.

I headed for town with only one thing on my mind, peroxide. I would need peroxide to bleach my hair. As I was passing the many stores in the shopping area I passed a small store that caught my eye. When I opened the door the smell of perfume flooded my nose.

I was greeted with many different articles of clothing, each piece was crafted to perfection. I looked at the shirts, shorts, skirts, dresses and shoes picking out things. I decided to shop here for a bit until I bought everything that I loved.

I finally stopped at an almost grocery type store and bought peroxide and some scissors.

The walk home was long, because I kept getting lost. I wasn't planning on making friends here, because I was only staying for a month or so.

Once I got home I brought all my bags to my room and excitedly went to the small bathroom.

I started cutting my hair, as good and even as I could and once it was a bit below my shoulders I was satisfied. I cleaned up the hair that I had chopped off and took out the peroxide.

I took a shaky breath as I started to apply the bleach, there was no going back now. I finished applying it to my whole head and say with it on.

Once I let the bleach and toner, and I took a shower I was hungry for dinner. My mom did a double take once she saw me and smiled "well this is a nice change," she said and I smiled.

I helped her bring out the food and I sat down next to her. "Well Mallory, what made you change the hair?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Just a change," I mumbled.

"Pardon?" She asked.

"I just thought maybe I needed a change," I said louder.

"I have good news," she said and I looked up "we will be going back to Castle Rock at the end of the month, Aunt Deborah found a new house and she will be moved out by then."

A grin widened on my face and I finished my food, mashed potatoes, peas, and meatloaf. When I went back to my room I put on my sleepwear and fell asleep, exhausted.

You would be surprised, but the next month passed by fast, I learned how to talk properly, and how to act lady like. I started wearing more dressy clothing and kitten heels.

I haven't seen any of the guys in a month, and I doubted they would recognize me. However, I was ready to see them again. I hoped that somehow Chris had returned, because I had missed him dearly.

"Are you ready for the long drive, Mal?" my mom asked and I nodded my head rapidly, grinning like a mad man.

"As ready as I could be," I exclaimed sliding into the passengers seat. A month had gone by so quickly, and we still had a whole month left of summer.

I slowly drifted to sleep with my head on the window and the humming of the car. When I woke up it was daylight, and my mom was shaking me awake. "We're here!" she said and I jumped out of the car, grabbing as many things as I could.

I ran into the house and jumped onto the couch sighing, I missed this place. It was only 8:30 AM so I had a whole day to hunt down my best friends, and boyfriend.

Once we finished unpacking the necessary stuff, it was 11:45 AM and I was out of the house. I was skipping down the street in my favorite dress, my short hair blowing behind my shoulders when I almost froze up, noticing who was standing across the street.

There I saw Chris, he was back. He was back! I was so happy to see him that without a second thought I crossed the street. I had a plan crafted in my head and when I purposely bumped into him, it was set into place.

"Oh sorry," I said stumbling back and he rubbed the back of his head mumbling and apology.

"I'm Chris Chambers," he said, and he seemed upset.

"Are you ok?" I asked and he nodded replying "you just remind me of someone I knew."