Chapter Twelve "Outsmarting Stupidness"

"Jeeze, Gordie. Why couldn't you get some breakfast stuff like twinkies and root beer?" Vern asked and I almost backed up, how the hell is that breakfast food?

"Sorry, Vern. I guess some more experienced shopper could have gotten more for your seven cents," Gordie replied sarcastically and I would have laughed if I wasn't so hungry. With our stomachs rumbling we pressed on toward the Royal River. The reality of Ray Brower was growing and kept us moving despite the heat.

"Gentlemen, the Royal," Chris said as we all came to a stop.

"God, the tracks go way out of the way," Teddy said and I stared at the tracks, you couldn't see the end.

"If we cut across this field right here, we'll be there in an hour," Chris said and I nodded taking small steps toward the woods until Vern said "I think we should stick to the tracks."

"I say we go across the field," I said continuing walking.

"Let's go!" Chris yelled. Him and Teddy started running, I ran after them.

"Take no prisoners!" Teddy yelled and Gordie followed us, leaving Vern still on the tracks.

"Hey you guys! It's a lot safer if we ah--"

"Come on men!" Teddy cut him off and Vern still didn't move.

"You don't know what's in those woods!" He'd said looking at the tracks and then to the woods, I was almost already there.

"Let's go!" I yelled and he started running.

"Hey you guys wait up for me!" He shouted and then fell, tumbling a little down the hill.

I raced Chris the rest of the way to the woods. I was just about to beat him when he tackled me to the ground, it didn't hurt but I groaned anyway. I looked up at him and laughed. sitting up. "Whoops?" He said laughing, acting like he did it by accident.

"I hate this shortcut," Vern said as we made our way through the woods.

"I hate this shortcut," Teddy mimicked. Vern stuck his fist into the air nearing Teddy's face, and Teddy flinched.

"Hahaha! You flinched! Two for flinching!" Vern said excited. Teddy just rolled his eyes and punched Vern twice in the arm. "But you flinched," Vern said confused.

"I know. Two for flinching," Teddy said and we kept walking. I almost walked into a pool of water until Chris pulled me back and I stared at it, gross.

"How are we supposed to get across this?" Vern asked and I sighed "we use you as a raft," I said looking for a way around. On the side of the pond there was some rocks and trees, easy enough to cross.

"Very funny," Vern said and Chris ripped off a branch from a tree and tested the water.

"Hey, it's not that deep, we can walk across," he said and I shook my head. I knew that you never go into, or drink from still water. It carries more bacteria and creatures than running water. I would have told them this but they were already neck deep in "shallow" water.

"I told you we should've stuck to the tracks," Vern said annoyed as I used a tree to pull myself up onto a rock.

I wobbly started walking on the rocks, using the trees for support. "Is it me or are you the world's biggest pussy?" Teddy asked me and I rolled my eyes.

"I suppose that's fun for you," I said pointing to the water and he shook his head.

"No, but this is!" He said splashing me.