Chapter Five "Train Dodge, Dig It"

"What do we need a pistol for anyway?" Vern said confused. We finally made it to the train tracks and we started walking along them.

"It's spooky sleeping out at night in the woods. We might see a bear." Chris said and I recalled the story we just told the guys, that happened behind Blue Point. "Or a garbage can." I laughed.

We told the guys about the gun, Ace and Eyeball, and even about Chris and I dating. I was grateful they didn't find that a big deal.

"I brought a comb." Vern said pulling a comb out of his front breast pocket.

"What do we need a comb for?" Chris asked confused and Vern clarified "well, if we get on TV we wanna look good, don't we?"

"That's a lot of thinking, Vern." Gordie said and Vern replied "thanks."

Teddy stook out is fist near Vern's face and he flinched, "two for flinching," Teddy said and then punched Vern in the arm twice.

"Ow!"

"How far d'you think it's gonna be?" I asked looking ahead.

"If we follow the tracks all the way into Harlow it might be about 20 miles. Sound about right here, Gordie?" Chris answered and then checked with Gordie.

Gordie nodded "yeah, yeah. Might even be thirty." he said and I mentally groaned, that's gonna take longer that until tomorrow evening. I'm gonna get grounded by my aunt for lying maybe even tied down and never allowed to see the light of day again, and I'd hate to make my mother worry.

"Gee. Maybe we should just hitchhike." Vern said and I laughed.

"No way, that sucks." Teddy said and started walking, the rest of us started walking too.

"Why not? We could go down Route Seven to the Shiloh church. Then down the Back Harlow road. We'd be there by sundown." Vern said and that sounded boring, it's not an adventure than.

"That's pussy!" Teddy said and Vern defended himself again "hey, it's a long ways."

"Did your mother ever have any kids that lived?" Teddy asked joking around and obviously Vern didn't know what he meant. I laughed and continued walking.

"Have Gun, Will Travel" reads the card of a man! A knight without armour in a savage land! His fast gun-for-hire heeds the calling wind. A soldier of fortune he's a man called Paladin!" we all sang.

"Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam? Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home." Teddy continued singing while Gordie started speaking.

"We could fill up at the junkyard. My dad said it's a safe well." Gordie said and I nodded agreeing.

"Not if Chopper's there." Vern said worried and I rolled my eyes "if Chopper's there we'll send you in." I said not joking.

"Haha, very funny." he said and than looked at his stomach "hey, I'm kind of hungry, who's got the food?"

"Oh shit!" Teddy said and I sighed "Did anybody bring anything?" I asked.

Chris said "Not me. Gordie?" and Gordie shook his head.

"Well, this is great." Teddy said sarcastically "What are we supposed to do? Eat our feet?"

"D'you mean, you didn't bring anything either?" Chris asked in disbelief.

"Oh shit, this wasn't my idea. It was Vern's idea. Why didn't you bring something?"

"What'm I supposed to do? Think of everything? I brought the comb!" Vern shouted back.

"Oh great, you brought a comb. What d'you need a comb for if you don't even have any hair?" Teddy started and the two boys bickered.

"I brought it for you guys!" He yelled back again and Gordie finally broke it up.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Let's see how much money we've got. Yeah. I got a dollar. Sixty-eight cents from Chris. Sixty cents from Teddy." he started counting "Three dollars from Mallory. Seven cents, Vern?" He asked and I almost laughed.

"Haven't found my pennies yet." Vern said ashamed.

"Well, five-ninety-eight's not bad. Quidachioluo's is at the end of the little road that goes by the junkyard. I think we can get some stuff there." I said and the boys nodded.

"Train coming." Chris said and we all grabbed our stuff. I got off the tracks and Vern jumped off and shouted "Geronimo!"

We all got off the tracks except Teddy, "come on, Teddy!" I yelled over the loudness.

"No. I'm gonna dodge it," he said throwing his stuff to the side.

"Come on, Teddy-man. Get off the tracks you're crazy." Chris yelled.

"Train-dodge. Dig it," I barely heard him over the train that was nearing him. I started to get nervous because I knew his eyesight and hearing wasn't the best.

"Get the hell off the tracks, Teddy! You wanna get yourself killed?" Chris yelled again.

"Just like the beach in Normandy." he said and put his arms out, pretending he was shooting a gun.

"Come on, man. Come on" Chris yelled pulling him off the tracks. they looked like they were about to fight, and started yelling at each other as the train came by. Vern held back Teddy and Gordie held back Chris while I stood in the middle, trying to calm down both.

Once the train went by Teddy said "I don't need no babysitter," and grabbed his stuff.

Chris, clearly not convinced, said "you do, too. Skin it," and Teddy walked away.

"I could have dodged it."

Chris caught his shoulder and said "listen, Teddy, you can dodge it on the way back, man. Peace. Skin it."