Chapter Nine "Ultimate Train Dodge"

"Any of you guys know when the next train is due?" Vern asked nervously as we all started out onto the bridge. If we crossed it, there would be no going back once a train came.

"Should we cross here?" I asked looking up at Chris trying to hide my worry.

"We could go down to the route-136-bridge," he said looking back at me and Teddy looked at us weirdly.

"What, are you crazy? That's five miles down the river. You walk five miles down the river you gotta walk five miles back. That could take
till dark. If we'll go across here we'll get to the same place in ten minutes," he said.

"Yeah. But if a train comes there's nowheres to go." Vern argued.

"Well, there isn't? You just jump," Teddy shrugged takings few steps forward. Again I looked at Chris worried, it seemed to calm me down every time I looked into his eyes.

"Teddy that's a hundred feet.," Chris said and I felt my legs shake a little.

"Yeah, Teddy," I said and looked down at the water.

"Okay. You guys can go round if you want. I'm crossing here. And while you guys are dragging your candy-asses half way across the state and
back I'll be waiting for you on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts," Teddy said continuing to walk forward.

"You use your left hand or your right hand for that?" I replied. He seemed to forget who I am, I seemed to forget who I am. I've never really thought about my rep around these guys and when I did my ego inflated. But don't get me wrong, I value my friendship way more than my ego.

"You wish," Teddy said and the rest followed, walking on the tracks. Chris walked next to me, holding my hand. That calmed my nerves.

Every so often I looked behind me to check on Vern and Gordie. Vern decided crawling was a brilliant plan, and left Gordie stuck behind him.

The last time I turned around Gordie knelt down to feel the rail. He looked hesitant for a second than shouted at the top of his lungs "TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!"

"Oh shit," I yelled and started running across the tracks.

"Go man, go man! Get up Vern! Dammit! Get aaaap! Go man! Shit, Vern, you! Get up!" Gordie yelled at Vern, there voices were fading and I kept pumping my legs.

Once we were close enough to the platform Chris pulled me into him and my ankle was worse than ever, I felt the tears coming to my eyes.

I think at the time I tried to blame it on my ankle, but really I think it was because my two best friends had a train charging at them. All the sudden the two did the unthinkable and jumped, jumped of the bridge.

Don't. Cry. That's all I kept telling myself as I looked over the edge. I was relieved to see Vern and Gordie, and they were just fine.

"Hey, at least now we know when the next train was due," Chris said laughing and I recovered from my mini heart attack.