Chapter Two "It's ok to cry, the sky does too."

When I stood in the tree house, all I got was stares from three boys. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other and coughed.

"What is she doing here," one of the boys asked, Teddy Duchamp, when I looked at him I noticed that what I heard was not a rumor. I guess his dad actually did burn his ear. I just never thought someone, who thought so highly of their father, would still love them after something like that.

"Hey, don't be like that man," Chris defended me. I didn't know what to do I introduced myself.

"Hi, I'm Mallory Davis," I said quietly, but loud enough for them to hear.

"Yeah we know who you are," Teddy replied again "is it true that you fought that one girl in the locker room and pulled out a lock of her hair?" He asked out of the blue, I must have looked shocked because Chris shot him a look.

I pretended to be proud and sat down "yeah, that bitch had it coming. Talk shit, get hit, you dig?" I said and he nodded.

"Teddy Duchamp," he stuck out his hand and I shook it, the two other boys who were speechless until now introduced themselves too.

"Gordie Lachance,"

"Vern Tessio," I shook both of their hands and they repeated our action of sitting down.

It was around 7 PM, four hours later, that I decided to go home. Chris insisted on walking me, and I couldn't disagree.

The walk home from the tree house was not very far, and when I got there I couldn't help but give him a hug. I felt like I finally had friends, that I wouldn't have to be lonely.

When we pulled away he smiled and I waved, he waited until I got inside, but that probably wasn't the best idea. The minute I walked inside my Aunt started yelling at me, and without a doubt, I knew Chris heard.

"Do you realize how difficult my life is when you are around?" my aunt asked "I just got a call from your school saying you threatened to set one of the teachers on fire!"

"I did not say that!" I shouted and she didn't believe me. She started hitting me with the wooden part on the broom and I ran upstairs.

"I guess some kids were just born with evil in their blood, you are as unstable as your mother!"

I ran to my bed and shoved my face in my pillow, screaming and crying. I eventually fell asleep.

When I woke up it was 11 PM and it was to a tapping on the window. I got out of bed to investigate the noise and when I pulled away my curtains Chris was standing their, looking all beat up.

I quickly opened the window, and even though he wouldn't tell me what happened I cleaned his wounds. He looked really upset and I sat next to him as he lay on my bed.

"Are you ok?" Stupid question to ask, but I did anyway.

"Mal, my life sucks," he said and I nodded, I knew that feeling. "Just because of my dad, and my brother the whole town thinks I'm just a low-life Chambers kid... Maybe I am," he said.

I shook my head "don't think that way, screw what anyone else thinks. The only opinion that should matter is yours."

After a few moments he said something "maybe I don't cry, but it still hurts, and maybe I won't say anything, but I still feel. But does anyone give a damn about my feelings, no"

"I do," I whispered "I care." He smiled up at me and I lay down next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder. "It's ok to cry," I told him and he looked at me.

"Are you ok," he asked me and I shook my head.

"You know what kills me the most, is that fact that I go out of my way to help people; make them feel happy again when I know for a fact when I need the same thing from them.. they act like I'm not here." I said letting a few tears slip.

"I'm here now," Chris said and I looked at him, he was crying. The minute I saw him crying I stopped. He looked me into the eyes and I looked into his, it might have been a in the heat of a moment thing, but I kissed him, and he kissed back.

I pulled away and he looked confused "man, we just met. We barely know each other," I said and he looked at me.

"Let me know you," he said and for the rest of the night we talked about each other's lives.