Chapter Thirteen "Beginning"

"Coming thru the woods I bet we saved over an hour. Teddy?" Gordie said as we came to a stop at a blocked off road.

"Yeah?" Teddy asked.

"'This the Back Harlow road?" Gordie asked and Teddy nodded "yeah."

He was quiet ever since that incident and I felt bad. I pushed him first, it's just.. I'm not used to having friends. I don't know how to control my anger sometimes and I don't want to be fighting with him like this.

"Brower-kid must be round here some place. Teddy, you and Vern watch the left side of the tracks, we'll take the right," Chris said and we all split up.

"Alright," Teddy said looking down and I felt a pang in my heart, these guys were my first real friends.

As we were walking down the sides of the tracks I walked in the middle. I noticed Teddy was barely looking, except at his shoes. "Teddy?" I said and he looked up "I'm sorry."

He shook his head "No I am, it was my fault," he said still not acting himself. We were talking quietly, I doubted the others knew what we were talking about.

"You know, I'm exactly what everyone says I am. I've never had friends, I don't know how to have friends," I said looking up at him. "Well we're still friends right," Teddy asked and I nodded smiling.

"There he is! I see him! Look! Look over there! I see him! I see him!" Vern shouted and we all rushed over to him.

None of us could breathe. Somewhere under those bushes was the rest of Ray Brower. The train had knocked Ray Brower out of his Keds just like it had knocked the life out of his body.

"Jesus," Chris muttered and I felt my eyes get glossy, but I wouldn't cry. The kid wasn't sick. The kid wasn't sleeping. The kid was dead. "Let's look for some long branches. We'll build him a stretcher," Chris directed and I nodded walking away.

"Gordie?" I asked as he sat down looking really upset.

"Why did you have to die?" Gordie looked really upset and I took a few steps toward him, the other guys turned around.

"What's the matter with Gordie?" Vern asked and Chris shook his head. "Nothing. Why don't you guys just go for some long branches, okay?"

I nodded and walked away, but not to far, letting the two talk. "Why did he have to die, Chris? Why did Denny have to die?" Gordie asked and I walked farther away, out of earshot, knowing this wasn't a conversation for me to be in.

I watched them though, my heartbreaking when I saw Gordie cry. Vern and Teddy were arguing once again over something stupid when I heard an unfamiliar voice call out.

"What the fuck do you know about this?" I turned around and saw Ace and Eyeball.

"Son of a bitch, my little brother!" Eyeball exclaimed and I didn't move from where I was, to scared to make a wrong step.

"You wasn't planning taking the body from us, was you, boys?" Ace asked coldly.

"You get away man. We found him an' we got dibs," Chris said and I almost cringed at the way we were trying to claim a dead body.

"Ahh! You better start running, Eyeball, they got dibs!" Ace acted scared.

"We earned him, man. You guys came in a car that's not fair, he's ours!" Although the way we were talking about Ray was quite disturbing, Chris made a good point.

"That's not fair, he's ours. Well, not anymore," Eyeball mimicked Chris.

"There're five of us, Eyeball. You just make your move," Teddy said.