Chapter One "Prepare to be Amazed"

"Something about you makes me want to slap you." The teacher looked at me with a mixture of disgust and disbelief. I smirked happy to have that affect on her.

"You know, we have a name for kids like you," she replied still holding her disapproving look. I nodded for her to continue but she just walked back to the front of the classroom.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was the last day, the last day of summer school. I was told if I wanted to go to junior high with the rest of my class that I must complete these summer courses.

It was total bullshit, I made good grades all year. It was because I was marked lousy by the town, and I wasn't the nicest person.

"Okay, I'm so happy to say that each and everyone of you are done with these courses. So enjoy what's left of your summer, and I am glad that I will not have to see you delinquents next year," said Old Lady Simons as she sat at her desk, smoothing out the wrinkles on her brown skirt with dots on it.

In spite of myself I let out a happy squeal and got out of that prison as fast as I could. I believed that I was smart enough to get into the college courses, but my school did not. Every time I aced a test my Auntie was called in and we had a "meeting" with the board of education saying that cheating is not ok. I'm not a cheater.

Every time my aunt got home after those meetings, she would beat me. I never fought back, everyone thought I deserved it. Who cares about Mallory Davis?

As my feet hit the side walk I day dreamt about flying, if I could fly I would leave this town. Find a place where I'm loved and a place where I could finally find a family.

I looked down at my feet, I wished that I could find even just one person who would care about me. Who would let you talk, and actually listen. Someone who I would be able to talk about anything with, and they could trust me too.

I kept thinking about that, and I didn't even notice I walked straight into someone. I stumbled back and mumbled an apology while looking up.

"Hey, don't worry about. I should've watched where I'm going," he said, looking back at me. Chris Chambers, I knew who he was, everyone else did too. I don't understand why people thought he was like the rest of his family, because when I looked at him all I saw was just another boy.

Well I can't say just another boy, because most of the guys in Castle Rock weren't nearly as attractive. "No, it was my fault, sorry. Uh.. I'm Mallory Davis," I put out my hand for him to shake and he smiled.

"I'm Chris Chambers," he replied shaking my hand, and I made like I didn't know him. "That's a lot of books you got there," he observed and I laughed.

"Yeah, summer school," I replied with a disgusted tone and he smiled a little.

"Oh, I'm going to meet with some of my friends. Do you, uh... Want to join?" He hesitantly asked and I nodded, why not?

"Who are your friends?" I asked him not knowing who to expect. Castle Rock, Oregon only had a population of 1281 people, so it was likely that everyone knew everyone else.

"Uh.. There's only four of us, Teddy Duchamp, Vern Tessio, and Gordie Lachance," he said and I nodded. I guess I knew a little about each, or the rumors some people spread. "You see," he turned around when we got to a tree house "I'm not exactly sure how they are gonna react when they see you," he said.

"Yeah, I know. I'm a good for nothing Juvenile Delinquent," I cut him off and he smiled and shook his head.

"I didn't mean that, I meant that we don't usually allow girls, or really any other people, in the tree house," he clarified and I laughed.

We climbed the small ladder and tapped a rhythm on the wooden door, suddenly the door was open and he was holding it open helping me inside.