Chapter 20: Unexpected Dinner Guest

I stood nervously in my room examining myself in the mirror, while Reese was showering in my bathroom. I really hoped I wasn't under-dressed in my cream sweater dress that came to mid thigh it had a brown belt that sat comfortably at my hips and my knee high brown boots. My hair flowed down my back with wild curls decorated with a thick brown headband.

The guests would start arriving shortly, mom said she was expecting at least thirty people for dinner. I was so grateful that there'd be plenty of people over so the spotlight would be off Zac and I.

I'm sure our parents would notice us avoiding one another like the plague if it were just us. It was also decided last minute that Ethan and AJ would be joining us for dinner.

Reese was over bright and early as promised and mom immediately took a liking to her. We helped mom slave over the stove and gossiped over everything for hours.

Eventually they got to the topic of boyfriends and Reese mentioned AJ. Which just so happened to cause mom to ask why I didn't have a boyfriend yet...so I had to fess up and tell her all about Ethan.

"I'm sure he's a very respectable boy if your Aunt Elisha knows his family and approves of him." Mom stated while putting the potatoes into the pot to boil. "Does he have any plans for tonight?"

"Umm no mom I don't think he has any plans, his family is in France...why?" I asked making a baffled face towards Reese as I shrugged my shoulders unsure of where my mom was going with this question.

"Well then...we can't have them going hungry now can we? Go call Ethan up and Reese you call AJ...I want to meet both of them. I'm sure your father would want to meet him too." She nodded her head while stirring the pot. "Go on now...and go get ready while you girls are at it." Mom shooed us out the kitchen.

We scurried up to my room and shut the door behind us. "What do we do now?" I squealed at Reese with a panicked look on my face. "You know how Zac and Ethan feel about one another."

Even though Ethan said he didn't want to come between Zac and I, that he wanted us to make up. I still knew deep down inside the things Zac said about him using me for one thing only really bothered him.

"I'm sure they'll at least try and act civil with one another in front of the parents." She answered as she shrugged her shoulders at me. "Don't you think?"

"I guess so." Or at least I really really hoped so. I could see it now, the shocked look on our parents faces as food and fists went flying across the table between Zac and Ethan.

Reese suddenly emerged from the bathroom breaking me out of my thoughts. Grinning at me, "What do you think?" She asked holding her arms out and striking a pose.

She was gorgeous and anything she wore looked stunning on her. "You look great Reese, I love that color on you." I smiled, her long sleeved coral colored dress flowed freely down to her knees and her cowboy boots gave it just the right look.

Suddenly the doorbell chimed, I looked over at Reese with wide eyes. "And so it begins...dum dah dum dum dahhhhh." She laughed out evilly.

"Soooo not funny!" I whispered at her as I peeked my head out of my door to get a good look at the first guest.

"Hello." Mom said cheerfully as she opened the door, her voice sounding as though there was unfamiliarity to it...which meant it wasn't one of her expected guests.

"You must be Mrs. Debevoise, I see where Kaila gets her beauty from." Aiden complimented. I chuckled under my breath from my room, was he seriously kissing up to my mom! "I'm Aiden, I hope you don't mind Kaila invited me over?" He stated a little unsure of himself, I could just imagine his face! It had to be classic!