Chapter 11: Forgiveness

The alarm clock sounded at 5:30 the next morning, but I was already awake. I didn't sleep at all last night, wondering if I had indeed made a mistake with Zac.  I stood on the other side of the door listening to him crying for a few minutes before I heard swearing a string of curse words as he walked down the hall.

It took everything, for me to not chase him down the hallway. I'd never heard him cry before, ever. It made me feel all the more like a true piece of shit for hurting him back the way he hurt me.

I got up and went for my run, being Saturday morning. I had nothing else to do for the entire day. I spent all of Saturday rearranging my wardrobe. On Sunday I got a call from Chad asking if I wanted to hang out. I agreed, needing to get my mind off everything.

Chad came over to pick me up. "Is everything ok Kaila? You look like hell." He said with concern.

"Gee, thanks for being so blunt Chad. Here I thought you were all sweet and innocent." I replied smugly. "I'm ok just have alot going on."

He knew I was upset, but didn't pry any further. "Well it's your lucky day. I'm gonna make you forget all your problems, if only for one day." He smiled with his killer grin.

He surprised me by taking me to Fantasy Island Amusement Park. We spent the day going on all the rides like two kids and playing every game there was to play. The sad part is, I couldn't get my mind off Zac. This was just the type of thing he'd do to cheer me up.

We ended up sitting on the beach for a while in silence, just enjoying one another's company. The weather was breezy out, thankfully it wasn't cold just yet.

"What's up Kaila...you know you can talk to me. Why do you have the I just lost my best friend face?" Chad smiled warmly.

"Because, maybe I did." I responded in a small voice.

"You should tell him how you really feel." Chad said as he dug his feet deeper into the sand looking out towards the ocean.

"Huh?"

He gave me a knowing smile, "I said you should tell him how you really feel...Zac."

"What're you talking about Chad?" I asked somewhat guilty, because I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Come on Kaila, I'm not blind. It seems like everyone knows that the two of you have a 'thing' for one another, besides the two of you!" He laughed as he stood up brushing the sand off his jeans.

"We don't have a 'thing' for one another! It's just that we're best friends...at least we were best friends. Feels like a piece of me is missing when he's not around." I admitted as he offered his hands to pull me up.

"That my dear, is a funny little thing called love, but I'll take your word for it when you say you don't have a 'thing' for one another." He said with a wink. "It's getting late we should get going."

He dropped me off close to 10, we would of stayed out later but it was Sunday and we had school tomorrow. Chad walked me up to my door, giving me a monster hug and kissing me on the cheek. He didn't try to kiss me on the lips this time and I was grateful.

"See you at school tomorrow beautiful." Chad said before turning away.

"Night Chad, thanks for cheering me up. See you tomorrow."

I went to bed that night questioning my feelings. Could what Chad said be true? Could I really be in love with Zac? I love Zac, but am I in love with him?

Speaking of Zac, he didn't try to contact me all weekend, which was a bit surprising because he's usually the relentless one. I woke up and got ready for school on Monday dreading the fact that Zac and I had every class together. I never fathomed the thought of us not being friends. It was like an entire part of me was missing.