Chapter 18: Life Without Him

I figured things would be awkward at school the Monday following that weekend, but what I didn't expect was that he would act as if I never existed.

Pulling up to the school on the Monday after our huge fight, I could see he had his arm wrapped around Hailey's shoulder...Bastard! They were standing there laughing it up a little too close for comfort.

"Umm, think you can give me a ride home after school today Zac?" Hailey's annoying voice said.

"Yea sure, seeing how we have football practice and you cheerleading I don't think it'd be a problem." He stated while glancing over towards my direction. "I don't have any other plans." Wow, low blow seeing that we always spent time together after practice.

Since when did they get so close?!? Probably over the weekend at someone's house party. I knew deep down inside he was doing this maliciously to try and hurt my feelings as much as I supposedly hurt his.

"Keep walking...keep it moving. Ignore him!" Reese hissed under her breath as she practically dragged me towards the entrance. "He'll realize how wrong he is...trust me!"

"I'm trying Reese, I'm really trying. It just hurts." I said through gritted teeth, walking faster up the steps towards the double doors. My heart clenching tightly as I watched my best friend with my enemy.

"Yo girls...where ya in a rush to?" Aiden called from the lawn causing everyone to look over at us including Zac and Hailey.

"Ugh, hey guys. We gotta go to the library and finish up some last minute homework. Wild, wild weekend with the boyfriends. Ya know how it goes." Reese winked at them with a huge grin. "OMG he's gonna be so jealous!" She whisper shrieked.

I caught the clenching of Zac's jaw before he turned around and began to talk to some other football players.

"I'm not trying to add salt to the wound Reese!" I snapped. "You're gonna make things worse than they already are."

"Sorry."

The day didn't seem to get any better, Zac went as far as asking someone in each of our classes to switch seats with him just so he wouldn't have to sit next to me or get stuck working on any projects together!

I never thought he would stoop as low as Hailey's standards. It was just taking things too far. This time I wasn't going to be the one to beg for his forgiveness, because I did nothing wrong.

I missed what we had...before we lost the weight. Things weren't so simple anymore. No one really asked what was up with Zac and I, only Chad, Aiden and Reese knew the truth. Most could sense the tension between us, but they didn't bother to ask.

So much for Zac realizing he was in the wrong and apologizing to me. Soon a full month passed by and he hasn't so much as looked at me, let alone breathed in my direction.

The days just came and went just like that. I spent a vast majority of my days hanging out with Reese, she's become the sister I never had. I've become quite the social butterfly now that I've spread my wings.

Day in and day out I watched as Hailey threw herself at Zac and soon I heard they started going out on dates with one another.

Chad and I were still close friends and hung out whenever we had the opportunity, except now that he had a new found bromance with Zac I hardly saw him as much as I used to.

I heard Chad, Zac, and Aiden were like the three musketeers. They were always in one another's company...and of course you already know, where there's Aiden comes along an annoying blond named Hailey.

All my weekends consisted of either sleeping over Ethan and AJ's with Reese or them coming to stay over my house. At least one day during the week Reese and I drive up and have dinner with the guys or vice versa.