٨

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham

Yasmeen and Sufyan's wedding was in two months time and we were currently teasing Sufy while he blushed uncontrollably. The three of us were at Ummi's restaurant eating and disturbing the other customers with our laughs and noises. Ummi shot us a glare from afar which silenced us immediately.

"Ummi is definitely mad at us" Sufy said, Imaan and I giggling.

"We need to leave before we chase her customers away" Imaan added, a spoonful of food now in her mouth.

My phone rang and it was Yas.
"Speaking of..." I teased Sufy once more, waving my phone's screen to him before answering the phone.

"Hey love" I said to her immediately.

"Hey. How're you doing?" She spoke fast, causing me to sense the tension in her voice.

"Alhamdulillah. You?"
She doesn't wait for me to finish speaking before responding.
"Alhamdulillah. Was Asaad at work yesterday?" She eager asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to comprehend what was happening.

The previous day being a Friday, a very busy one at that, I really couldn't tell if Asaad was present at work or not as I was immersed in my work. Actually, I never really knew when he was around unless he called for a meeting. We were pretty much avoiding each other.

"I don't know. Why're you asking...." I trailed off.
She was quiet for some time before responding with a sigh.

"I've been trying to reach him since yesterday morning but it keeps going to voicemail. It's unusual, is there a way you can help us confirm if he was at work yesterday. Aseeyah and I are really worried" she said to me, reminding me that she and Aseeyah basically lived together.

"Uh okay sure. Let me confirm from my assistant" I said to her. My two friends' attentions were on me now. I ended the call, briefing them on situation before dialling Rahma's phone. She picked instantly, probably surprised as to why I was randomly calling her on a weekend.

She informed me that Asaad was in fact, not at work yesterday and curiously asked why I was bothered by that. Not giving her a clue, I thanked her before ending the call.

Was I starting to get worried about him? Yes
Was I going to admit it however? We all know the answer.

"He was absent at work yesterday" I said into the phone.

Yasmin sighed before I heard some movement and then Aseeyah came on the line.

"Salaam love, we're sorry to bother you but we really need you to go check if he's fine. He's been dealing with a lot recently and I hate it when he starts to shut everyone like this" Aseeyah said.

Was this some set up? Why couldn't they have asked Hadeel
or Sufyan? Everything seemed suspicious yet I found myself agreeing to it.

"Yeah so I'm actually with Sufy and Imaan right now. We'll go check him out. Can you just text me his address?" I asked her.

"I know his place" Sufyan said.

"Oh don't worry then. We won't need the address then. I'll keep you posted" I said before dropping the phone.

"I also know where he lives" Imaan added.

I looked at both of them suspiciously.

"What? He's literally my cousin in law and he has a very close relationship with Hadeel" Imaan said.
"Plus he comes to our place often too" she added