١٤

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham.

"OMG thank you so much!!!" Rahma squealed, hugging me.

Ahh, what was going on?

"What're you thanking me for?" I asked, chuckling. I couldn't help but wonder where she shopped her Abayas from as I took a glance of what she wore. I had to admit she had great taste.

"You are literally the best. There won't be layoffs any more" she stated.

I grinned at that.
"Masha Allah. That's great news!" I said to her, matching her excitement. She was wearing her signature red lipstick which suited her to perfection.

"Thank you so much Miss Elham" she said.

"Elham would be just fine" I said to her.

She nodded.

"But why're you thanking me? It was a collective action" I stated, knowing fully well that it was probably because of the little chat I had with Asaad. However, that was to remain a secret.

"It wouldn't have been taken so seriously if you hadn't stepped in. Thanks a lot"

"It's alright" I shrugged it off.

"Elham, if you don't mind, you can join us for lunch at the cafeteria. I think you'd love it" she said.
This made me remember that I made a mental note to make a few friends from my work colleagues instead of isolating myself all day at work.

"Sure, just remind me" I said to her. "Did you submit those files to As- Mr Khaled?" I stuttered.

Thankfully, I was able to catch myself before calling him by his name, that would have raised some suspicion and I didn't want anyone knowing for now.

"Yes I did. However, I'm not done typing the others"

"Please make sure you're done before the day runs out" I muttered.
She nodded with a smile and left. It was already Wednesday and I couldn't wait for the weekend. It was going to be a busy weekend yes, but Asaad informed me that we got to take a break for the next week. That was the part I was anticipating. I needed a break from work badly.

Asaad had been almost completely absent from work this week as he was still down with the cold. He'd only come in for a few hours and leave afterwards. We barely even crossed paths.

Once it was lunchtime, I followed Rahma down to the cafeteria which I had never been to before. I was impressed by the time I had stepped in. It was very spacious and modern with aesthetically pleasing interior.  We joined two other women on a table as I scanned the entire cafeteria. It was very beautiful and everyone here seemed to be very organised:l. There was barely noise or murmuring compared to the cafeteria in high school and university.

"Salaam" one of them said to me. It was Aisha, one of the directors.
"Salaam. I don't think we've gotten to introduce ourselves properly?" I said to the both of them, as Rahma sat down beside me. The other two ladies where on the opposite side of the table.

"Yeah, I'm Aisha, I think everyone pretty much knows you though" she said, causing me to arch a brow inquisitively.

Why did everyone know me?
What did she mean by that?

"I'm Latifa. Aisha's secretary" the other lady said, her dark skin glowing.

"I would introduce myself, but I guess everyone already..." I said but was interrupted before I could finish up.

"Oh, I didn't mean it in a bad way. You're the only one who wears a niqab in the entire company. We admire you a lot" Aisha said.
This made me blush slightly.