٣١

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham.

I held out an umbrella above my head as we stepped out of the car that drove us to the headquarters. It was Monday morning and despite the fact that Asaad and I were not on good terms, we had to keep our sentiments aside to focus on the real reason why we were there, work.
I hastily followed suit behind the men as we approached the enormous skyscraper building in front of us. The headquarters as expected, was a lot bigger than the branch in New York.
One of the guards reached out to collect the umbrella in my hand once we were inside the building.
Instantly, i felt warmer as I clutched my palms together, scanning the waiting area. My eyes landed on my work colleagues who stood at a corner, and seemed to be discussing something serious.

"Good morning everyone" I greeted, joining them. We all exchanged our pleasantries. I couldn't help but notice the suspicious glances they exchanged.

"I was worried when I had noticed you weren't with us at the airport the other day. Until Rahma informed us that you were catching the next flight because you had to take care of something" Aisha mentioned. My eyes darted to Rahma who quickly looked away.
Rahma was just a blessing because someone else in her shoes would have begun spreading rumors about Asaad and I already.

"Yes exactly. And I also decided to stay with some relatives here in London instead of the hotel that the company booked for us" I informed her. I began to feel guilty for lying but realized it was mostly true.

She began speaking but was interrupted by Asaad and his father's entrance. Or in better terms, my husband and father in law, but that was still a secret, wasn't it?

They had two guards behind them as they stood tall, beside each other with an all too striking resemblance, not just in looks, but in their mannerisms as well. Like how they both took off their coats at the same time and handed them out to the guards, and then they both proceeded to smoothen out their tuxedos and glance at the time on their wristwatches.

Ahh, like father like son.

I was too busy staring that I had not noticed my colleagues walking towards them.

The guards stood in place, not allowing them to get too close to the two men as they greeted them.
Standing awkwardly, my eyes met that of my father in law's and he offered me a smile.
I smiled back as I paced in their direction.

"Elham dear, how're you doing?" He asked, causing the room to fall quiet. Of course, they all wondered why Mr Khaled was greeting me specifically and with a grin as well.

Well, did they really think I had no connections with the Khaled family when I came from nowhere and got the position of 'director' when I was barely even 25?

I quickly glanced at Asaad who stared at me oddly. He had been trying to speak with me all morning but I had managed to successfully avoid him and it felt great. I couldn't bare the thought of what he had accused me of let alone the fact that we couldn't just seem to get along. There was always something that led to a fight and it was becoming too exhausting for me to keep up with.

I greeted my father-in-law back as the others stared in awe. Thankfully, it was time to head up to the meeting room so we took an elevator. Apparently, the CEO had a reserved elevator for himself alone.

Interesting.

The first meeting we had was brief, and afterwards, we were given a tour of the entire place. I had never seen a building with every office room and department decorated so tastefully, I had to admit that I was beyond impressed.
My colleagues spoke almost throughout the tour while I only spoke when I felt I had something necessary to say.