Chapter 10: A Burden

Jake's Perspective:

Except neither one of us said anything. We just stared at each other until she decided to break her gaze and look down and stare at the ground. I however kept my gaze, and within a few minutes, I finally broke the ice.

"You saved me..." I muttered just loud enough for her to hear.

She glanced up with confusion spread across her face meeting my eyes again. She looked back down  at the ground. "Hm?" she responded just loud enough for me to hear without meeting my eyes. At this point, I don't know if she's going to tell me anything. She seems on edge and ashamed her act ended so quickly. I began to clarify.

"That wolf that attacked me...you saved me...why? I paused a moment before I began speaking again. "You could've just let me have it. You could've just minded your own business and not given it a second glance, but you risked your safety to help someone you didn't even know...someone you even thought was against you...why?"

She jolted. It was subtle, but it was there. She paused looking for words. 

"Cause you're different" she said looking up. 

Different? Like a good different? These thoughts were racing back and forth through my head but I was content in hearing what she had to say.

"You don't deserve that kind of fate. You're different from the others, or from Pan at least..." she spoke meekly. Her voice sounded like she hasn't had a real conversation in a while. But it was soft, confident, and striking. And it hit me. How does she know Pan?

"You know who he is?" I questioned shock shown throughout my face.

She casually responded, "Yeah...Felix and Hunter mentioned him when they were in the woods."

For the first time I broke my gaze and looked down. But shortly after I looked back up. I noticed my heart began to beat faster as anticipation built up inside of me. It looked like she was about to ask me something, and I longed for her to feel comfortable talking to me. I don't want her to fear me, she's probably the most unlike entity I've yet to come across on this island. She's different from the girls I remember back at home. She isn't self observant and selfish, she was willing to risk her capture if it meant sparing a somewhat meaningless life. She's...unique.

"So then why did you save me?" she spoke at first looking at the ground but then at me. "You guys wouldn't have to worry about finding me anymore. Seems like I'm just a burden anyways." she added.

A burden? She honestly thought of herself as a burden? Her saying that flashed me back to when I was back on the ranch. I always thought I was a burden to my father, and I thought no one else understood. But she does. Picking out my words with the utmost candor, I explained to her;

"Because you did nothing wrong, and runaway or not, I look out for my family." 

"Family?" she questioned cautiously.

"Anybody that ends up here on this island I consider family. We all have a common trait. We tend to be a little...lost. Hence the title "The Lost Boys" Pan gave us" I described.

She nodded showing she understood.

"So why is Pan so insistent on bringing me back?" she questioned.

I paused trying to gather the right words. I didn't want to make her think that Pan necessarily had bad thoughts as to why he wants her back, so I went with my gut feeling.

"Simple, he doesn't take no for an answer. And believe it or not, he's probably deeply concerned that you're on your own, alone, open to the dangers of the island."

And I wasn't lying when I said he's concerned. No matter what, Pan cares for every one of his Lost Boys. And believe it or not, he's become a little more cautious to never make his worst mistake again. 

"Being alone seems to suit me just fine" she quietly protested. "I'm quite used to it by now" she muttered even quieter.

My heart sank. She reminds me so much of me it doesn't even make sense. She was practically me. I talk and sometimes hang with other Lost Boys, but the real being I depend on is myself. Cause I know for a fact that I'm always here whenever I feel lost. I guess I could say the same that being alone sometimes suits me better. Sometimes...

"So I guess that means you're taking me back to him...aren't you?" she sighed. I looked at her and smiled.

"Not even close"

She looked up in disbelief and shock, but after a few moments...she smiled back. A genuine smile. And boy did she look amazing when she did.

"Why do you say that?" she asked in a brighter tone of voice.

"Cause I think you should go when you're ready, and I'm not very interested in playing Pan's Game" I chuckled.

"Oh yeah, so what was that all about?" she asked.

"It was a motivation for the Lost Boys. If they found you, they got to skip out on work for the next week" I described.

"Wow. You would give up a week of no work to let me go?" she laughed.

"Well, I mean I owe you after all. Without you I'd either be at the bottom of that cliff or the bottom of that wolf's stomach" I joked.

I looked down and laughed, she did the same. 

"Oh, and allow me to introduce myself" I paused, "I'm Jake".

She responded with a smile, and our conversation came to a close when we heard a lost boy in the distance.

"Come on guys we're gonna have to search all night if we're gonna find him!"

"I guess that's my cue" she laughed.

I smiled as she got up and recollected her bow that she hid. 

Before she embarked, I asked her one last question.

"And do I get the privilege of learning the new Lost Girl's name?" I chuckled.

She stopped in her tracks and turned around before she chose which direction to head in.

"Lea" she answered ending with a bright smile.

"Until next time...Lea" I giggled.

And like that she was gone and into the woods, wearing her emerald green cloak, she disappeared into the night. I smiled to myself, I think I'm going to like this girl...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.N: Hi there! So in this chapter we got to learn a little bit more about Jake and his past. So does Lea have a new ally? Thank goodness this chapter was a little bit easier to write! New update coming up soon! Thanks!

-Agm <3