Chapter 7:Check The Trees

Lea's Perspective:

I sat in the tree gazing up at the stars. Today just left me feeling completely drained. Yet I couldn't explain why I was still awake. Something in my mind kept me internally tossing and turning. Perhaps it was the situation with the boy, maybe. But something else just wasn't sitting right. I hugged my knees to my chest as I sighed.

Why did I end up here?

Out of all the people in the universe...

Why me?

These words ran though my head often. More often than I'd like. What does it even mean to be a Lost Boy?

As I pondered my thought an image of that boy flashed in my head.

The way he looked at me...

I could sit here for hours on end trying to deny myself but I knew it was true.

That boy had no intent of hurting me...

Though I was utterly used to being hurt and betrayed I could tell this situation was out of the norm. Without knowing him I could tell he was of a kind nature. That, or he could've just been weak and defenseless like many people in the world are. But how should I know? All of those boys assume I'm some kind of tough, genius boy that outsmarted their leader. But alas, it's just...me...

Lea Anne Robel...

The orphan...

My head resting against the tree I closed my eyes and sighed. One day...they won't see me as being the weak one...

The silence ringing throughout the forest was calming and reviving. The leaves in the trees danced alongside the wind as crickets and lighting bugs chirped. I suddenly became drowsy...And all that was left to do was just let go of my thoughts so that my dreams could sweep me off my feet...

"Guys! Let's go this way!" a harsh voice roared.

My eyelids shot open immediately as my heart raced.

What are they doing out here this late?

I became paralyzed. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I could barely think for that matter.

"If we don't win this game I swear you guys will never hear the end of it" a boy spoke harshly from not far out of range.

Feet were scampering and shuffling below me and within the bushes.

A boy yelled aloud;

"Wait, hold up!"

A couple pairs of footsteps slowed to a halt.

"I think I heard something" he carried on.

The boys below lingered for a moment. Beads of sweat began to run down my face from my forehead as I covered my mouth.

The main boy ordered once more;

"Check the trees."

My eyes widened and my heart sank into oblivion.

They'll surely find me...

Come on Lea. Think...

I have to act fast. Staying up here is just asking for them to come up and get me. I've already caused this much trouble that if I were to be caught they'd surely punish me. I shifted my weight slightly as I hung both of my legs over the tree branch. Keeping a deep breath within my chest I did the only thing I could think of.

I jumped...

Landing on two feet I regained my balanced and charged as fast as my legs would allow.