14 Shifting

Chapter 14 Shifting

Two weeks after they received the DNA results Claire got a shock. It was late afternoon and she was intending to take Casey and the pup for a walk in the woods.

Only when she entered the pups room she discovered that the pup no longer looked like a pup. Instead, in the playpen lay a small two-month-old infant. Big green eyes blinked up at Clair. Raven colored hair framed a chubby pale face with pink cheeks. A tiny pink tongue darted in and out of a little toothless mouth that held tiny spit bubbles in the right corner.

"Hello, sweetie." Claire cooed and reached down for the child.

Alpha, Luna, I think you may want to come to see my lovely niece. She said through the pack link.

We'll be there in ten, Claire. Is anything wrong? The Luna asked.

She cuddled the baby to her chest as she assured them nothing was wrong.

"Aren't you just a beauty? Do you want to go for a walk in the woods with Casey?" She softly murmured to the child.

The infant grasped a handful of hair and tugged it towards her mouth.

"No. No. We don't eat hair. Yucky yuck." Claire told her as she untangled the fingers from the now slightly damp tresses.

In the kitchen, she realized she had a slight problem. She didn't have a proper bottle to feed the baby. She had two 2 oz. bottles, two 3 oz. bottles, and two 4 oz. bottles made for puppies.

Lorna, she said with the pack link to her neighbor who has a seven-month-old son, could you loan me a six-ounce baby bottle?

I'll send it over with Korven. She replied almost instantly. Claire put the baby back in the playpen and waited as she heated water on the stove.

Korven delivered the bottle minutes before the Alpha and Luna arrived.

The Alpha and Luna followed her from the kitchen to the to the nursery.

The Luna gasped softly in delight as she saw the child crawling around in the playpen. She held her hand over her lips.

"Oh! She shifted!" She whispered loudly. She shifted Blake in her arms as she walked over to the playpen.

Normal Lycans didn't shift until they reached puberty so this was amazing in its self. Obviously, Kerea wasn't a normal Lycan.

Gordon entered the house and made his way into the nursery. "What's happened? Alpha?" He called concerned as he moved quickly down the hall.

"In here, Gordon." The Alpha called.

After his amazement at the wolf to child shift, Gordon examined her. Kerea tolerated the exam for about two minutes then wanted nothing to do with Gordon unless he allowed her to play with the exam tools. She didn't seem to be too happy about the exam otherwise. However, Gordon's stethoscope seemed to be her favorite toy.

"She's perfect." He said at last. "She's absolutely perfect." He repeated turning to the others.

"Will she shift back?"

"I can't tell. She may. Or she may not shift again til puberty. This isn't a common occurrence so there's no one I can even ask for answers." Gordon said as he handed the stethoscope to the fussing child. She quieted instantly and put the diaphragm in her mouth. He shook his head and smiled as he turned back to the others.

Casey was delighted in her new human baby. She insisted they go to the play park to show off her cousin.

Some of the younger shifted wolves were keeping a watch on the younger unshifted children. They roamed in their small wolf forms around the edges of the park and in the middle of the other children.

One of the larger older teens, Adriana, lay in sun at the edges of the playground keeping a watchful eye on the children.

She watched as the children gathered around the baby, Casey and Claire. The kids talked excitedly about wanting to shift. Some of them complained that it wasn't fair that Kerea was already able to shift. Clair tried to explain that they were unsure if Kerea would shift again before she reached puberty.

Adriana stood and padded over. She shifted to her human form. She wore a simple green t-shirt and cotton shorts because a Lycan couldn't shift without shredding non-natural clothing.

"It's not that big a deal, ya know. You're all gonna do it." She looked at the baby with a small smile.

"Yeah, but she got to do it already. She's just a baby."

"But she's lost her mom and her dad. Maybe it's the Creators way of saying sorry for needing them on the other side of the veil."

"Oh, yeah," Tiffany said sadly. "I wanna keep my mum and dad."

"Don't worry. You'll shift in a few years." She smiled, stood and shifted to her wolf form.

The baby arched her back and whined the farther Adriana stepped away. She wiggled in Claire's arms until Claire put her down on the grass. The baby girl crawled towards Adriana. She made a baby noise that could have meant anything then she shifted. She was much sturdier on four legs than on two knees and two hands.

Over the next twelve years, her fur gradually lighted to a silver-white with a black undercoat. In human form, her hair remained raven black. Her eyes while in wolf and human form were the same color of silver-green moss that hung from the trees.

When Blake shifted for the first time at twelve they claimed each other as mates. They spent the next four years as best friends. She found out that she was immune to silver, she had purchased a silver necklace in town her, her aunt and her cousin visited when she was eleven.

Thanks to the Elders she knew wolfsbane couldn't force her to shift back to human form or knock her unconscious.

The Elders were fascinated by her. She was the only known Wolf Born Lycan in existence. As far as anyone knew no other Lycan, mother or infant, had survived a similar situation. She was the first. The Elders created an organization (Wolf Born Project) to investigate the possibility that there could be more Wolf Born Lycans.

Kerea and Blake marked each other at sixteen then dated for two years before completing the mating bond. They went to college in the same state but had difficulty at the distance their schools forced on them. Blake studied business management and Kerea studied to become a doctor.

The organization (Wolf Born Project) sent orders to all the packs that any Wolf Born Wolves found on pack lands were to be reported to the Elders. They did not explain Wolf Born Lycans or even the possibility that they could exist. They were unsure if any female could survive birth. They were equally unsure if the mother would be able to shift back into human form after the birth of the child even if she were to survive. A surviving child was also a mystery. Would all surviving children be immune to silver and wolfsbane? Would they shift? Where there other anomalies that they haven't thought of as yet? Only time would tell...