5 More Questions

They had brought the wolf in over three hours ago. The wolfsbane had started wearing off an hour ago. It had taken almost twice as long as it should have if the wolf were Lycan. No, he thought, if the Lycan were as badly injured and malnourished as this wolf it could take that long.

He had sent Trish home to her mate. She had spent over an hour cleaning, removing thorns, briars, mud, and blood from the wolf. Then she had bandaged up the wolfs paws.

In his examination, he had found two oddities. One, she had a scar that resembled a mate mark. Second, her eyes were green. That was not typical of wolf borns.

He checked the pup

it appeared healthy. Much healthier than its mother.

But still after three hours and an injection of phenobarbital, through an IV, he still didn't know what she was; wolf born, Lycan or something else. It was something else that worried him.

Now he stood in front of the Alpha.

He told the Alpha he wasn't sure if she was a wolf born or Lycan.

"What do you mean you don't know? She's Lycan or she's not."

"None of this makes sense. Wolfsbane has no effect on wolf born. Lycans shift back to their human form as soon they are shot and go unconscious. It should have had no effect. It shouldn't have brought her down at all."

"Obviously it did. Unless the dart was loaded incorrectly."

"It wasn't," Gordon said. He sighed. "Her body build and her fur are almost perfect for a wolf born. But her eyes are green, she reacts to Wolfsbane. She reacts strangely but she does react." He looked over at the wolf on the stainless steel exam table. "And sir, there's one more thing you may want to see."

They moved over to the wolf. He carefully moved the IV line aside. Gordon ruffled the fur between the wolfs neck and her shoulder. He did it slowly the second time. The scar more visible now.

"Son of a b!tch." The Alpha exclaimed.

"Yes, sir," Gordon said agreeing with the sentiment. "Keep in mind, that it could," he stressed the word, "be just a scar. A defensive wound. But I agree it looks like a mate mark."

The Alpha paced the room, thinking. It didn't take long. He stopped and looked at Gordon.

"Call the other North America pack doctors. Find out if anyone has seen this before. I'll call the council." He turned and started to leave. He turned back. "Don't tell anyone about the female. Tell the other packs as little as possible."

Gordon nodded but the Alpha was gone.

The next few days were spent monitoring the wolf and on the phone with the North American packs.

He had the exam table removed from the room. Made the wolf a pallet, placed bowls for food and water close to the pallet.

After only two days the wound he had placed stitches into was healed enough for the stitches to be removed. He informed the Alpha.

The Alpha's mate was put on bed rest. Her own pregnancy was quite advanced. They wanted to delay the birth a few more weeks if possible.

As a result, the Alpha was stressed and didn't take the news of the wolf well. He wanted answers, not more questions.

Mia woke slowly. The smell alone drove her crazy. She could smell the Lycans, a wolf born, antiseptic, blood, soap, and strong cleaning products.

She didn't know what they did to her but she knew that days had passed. Her body was almost healed.

One paw still had a bandage, the paw she had removed the stick. She made short order of it. Soon it lay scattered around the pallet. If she had had lips she would have smiled in satisfaction.

She felt better. There was still hunger. She was still tired but most of the pain she had lived with the past few weeks no longer hounded her. She tried to contact her human. It was useless. The small spark of Emma was buried too deeply in memories.

She only had a year of memories with her mate. But Emma submerged her self in each one over and over. The stronger, more emotional ones she managed to project to Mia.

There was a water dripper and two food bowls pushed back to the wall by the pallet. There was both cooked and raw meat in the bowls.

First, she drank from the water. It tasted like a cold stream. Next, she inspected the meat.

The raw steak called to her wild wolf. But she resisted. She devoured the cooked steak. The wild wolf craved bloody meat. Mia refused. Wild wolf growled in her head but her lips trembled with along.

She attacked the steak and took it to the wolf scented pallet. Her bedding smelled of wolf and she didn't care. Because the steak smelled of blood.

She took her time ripping and chewing. After each bite, she licked the blood from her muzzle with satisfaction. Each bite pushed her closer to the wild.

The nob turned. A male Lycan entered. He looked to be in his thirties. No gray hair. No deep laugh lines. He paused when he saw her awake.

She had one paw on top of the steak, the other under of it. Her teeth were sunk in the meat. A low warning growl rumbled from her throat past the meat.

"Yes. It's yours. I only wanted to check on you." He spoke to her in a normal conversational voice. "You've been here for four days. Well, almost five. It's almost midnight." He placed a roll of gauze on the counter. The movement caused a new rumble through the room. He ignored her.