1 Emma's Escape

Emma knew she was pregnant. The thought filled her with joy even in this place. A small carbon copy of her mate James. A little boy with dark hair and bright blue eyes could maybe ease the ache of James death. James.

Her wolf paced in the back of her mind.

She had no verbal communication with Mia, her wolf, for a week now. They put something in the food they passed under the slot at the bottom of the door. Almost no one ever entered her cell. She had been locked up for nine days. The door had only been opened twice in that time. She had stopped eating the food. She flushed it down the toilet.

The fact that she could feel Mia in her mind was an improvement and confirmed, at least to her, that the food is what weakened her link to her wolf.

She knew she had to escape. Her life and her baby depended on her escape.

Her captures were not Lycan. They didn't smell human but it was a scent she couldn't place.

What they were didn't matter. Leaving this place did matter.

She sat on the cot.

Mia, if you hear me try to let me know. Emma waited but only felt the pacing in her mind. Fear caused her to shiver.

She knew it was dangerous to shift while pregnant. But if she were to escape it must be done. It must be done soon to minimize the risk to her baby and herself. She had three days before the door opened again. If she could not connect with her wolf before then her hope would be lost. She would not give birth here.

Lycan pregnancies lasted only 7 months. She was approximately six weeks pregnant. No, seven. She had been here over a week.

James had died trying... no. Don't think about that. Don't think about the blood. A sob ripped out of her throat.

Mia stopped pacing. Emma could feel her. It was like standing in a room with your eyes closed. You knew you weren't alone. Mia's presence was a comfort. It was better than two days ago when she had felt nothing.

Suddenly, the room was cast in to complete darkness. Their way of saying it was time to sleep. With a sigh, she lay down. Sleep was slow in coming. It was always slow.

* * *

Two days passed before Emma exchanged actual words with Mia.

Too dangerous. Mia said. Emma jerked at the sudden words.

What's too dangerous? Emma asked.

Shifting. Too dangerous. Could kill. Mia said, her mental voice stronger.

Staying is more dangerous. I'll never escape from here in this form. Emma defended. Either way, I'll die. I won't give them this child to experiment on.

They want it, yes. Ando says scientist before the man shoot him dead. Mia said as if the words meant nothing to her. The words ripped Emma apart. Ando had been James wolf. Emma clearly remembered Ando's shouted a mental warning.

By the time Emma heard keys jangling on the other side of the door, she had convinced Mia that shifting was the only hope they truly had. The lock clicked. But Emma was ready. She had started the shift with the first sound from the other side of the door.

The door swung silently open. In wolf form, Emma sprang into action. She launched herself at the entering figure.

Her jaws snapped down on flesh. A pain filled scream ripped out of the male that tried to scramble out the door.

Emma held on even as blood filled her mouth. Her back feet slid across the threshold as the man drug her out of the room in his retreat.

Pain exploded across the left side of her face as he pounded her with his fist. Emma clenched her teeth tighter. Something snapped in her jaws. Suddenly the man was falling taking her to the floor with him. His body jerked and went still. She released him after a few heartbeats and swept her gaze around her. She was at the end of a dimly lit hallway.

There were three doors. One door to the left, one door to the right and one door at the other end of the short hall. The door at the end of the hall stood open. Light spilled into the hall from the doorway.

Emma felt Mia push against her mind. She wanted control. Emma refused. She was unsure if the drug remained in her system. Her skin itched. It almost felt as if it were still shifting.

She moved closer to the door. She felt a tingling in her chest that caused her to pause. Her vision blurred but returned with perfect clarity in seconds.

Hurry. Mia shouted. But Emma couldn't move. The tingling sensation was inside her. Her abdomen felt like something was crawling around in it. It was not a pleasant feeling. The feeling lasted what seemed forever. Twisting, turning warmth that burned all the way out to her skin.

The shock caused her to lose control of her wolf. Mia move. She moved to the door and paused. No sounds came from the other side. She moved silently down a new hallway. She smelled food even over the scent of blood clotted in her fur.

Food could mean there were others in that direction. She didn't smell any others but that meant nothing. She avoided the doorway with the enticing scent. They were hungry but didn't dare search the building for food. They couldn't take the time to eat it even if they found it.

After five minutes they found a door leading outside. They could smell the dirt and pine resin on the floor where someone had tracked the scent in on their shoes.

She used her paw to push the handle down. The smell of pine and vehicle exhaust hung heavy in the air.

They didn't know where they were but they knew the scent of cars was to be avoided. Employees, scientist or employers could arrive at any moment.

Mia turned and headed to the thick tree line. Her feet pounded against the twigs and dirt. She uses logs and rocks and water to obscurer her tracks. They didn't know if they would be followed but they intended on taking no chances. She ran until exhaustion stalled her steps.

Emma felt Mia release control over to her. They sank to the ground. Their body to tired to do more than smell the air, cock an ear to listen to a rabbit, and pant with mouth hanging open.

After a few minutes rest, Emma stood. Mia remained relaxed, but anxious, at the back of her mind.

Emma closed her eyes and thought of her human body. Feet instead of paws, skin instead of fur, green eyes instead of forest brown. But nothing happened. The fur remained. The paws remain. The tingling of the change didn't come.

Mia felt Emma's fear and took it as an impending attack. She lifted her mental head and snapped her attention to Emma. It took her only a moment to realize the cause of Emma fear. They were frozen in wolf form.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember to vote on each chapter if you enjoy reading it. It only takes a few seconds and lets the author know you have enjoyed their work. It also helps other readers find the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N... Please don't forget to vote on this chapter. Hit the share icon and spread the word so others can find and read it too. Leave a comment and tell me what you think. It only takes a few moments to show your support.