11 Mind Links

Emma sank into the bedding just moments after the group left her clearing. Suddenly the adrenalin that had kept the pain away and kept her standing no longer seemed enough.

Mia, what's happening? She asked her wolf.

I believe the pup is coming. Mia told her. She didn't sound sure.

Gordon was sure I had time.

Yes. But this body is tired. We miss our mate. The pup is healthy. It will be safe here, Emma. I feel our mate calling. I'm unsure I can keep resisting. Mia told her.

Emma felt her sadness.

Mia? What if we can't do this? I don't know how in this body. Emma asked in fear and concern for her pup.

The creator will see us through. We have not survived this long only to fail now. Mia sounded sure now. She believed the creator had a plan. Emma hoped that it involved a healthy living pup. Months ago she had longed for a male pup with eyes and hair like his father's now she only wanted the pup to survive birth.

Pain clenched her abdominal muscles. She panted. As it eased she marveled that it wasn't as horrible as she had expected.

It will get much worse, Emma. But I'll try to take as much of the pain as I am able. Mia warned her softly.

The small group moved into the main pack house and into the conference room on the second floor.

The Delta and Epsilon of the pack remain standing, positioned by the door. All other seats were taken at the oval-shaped table.

"We spoke the truth when we said that we knew nothing for a certainty. What we suspect happens so rarely." Elder Thomas told them.

"It is common knowledge that a pregnant Lycan shouldn't shift." Elder Snider said and folded her hands on the tabletop. "Many believe that they can not." She shook her head. "It's not true. Many shift successfully in the first month or so. Unknowing that they are even pregnant, but as the woman's scent changes it alerts her of the pup. Most seek confirmation but reframe from attempting to shift."

"There have been reports of women that have attempted to shift and lost the pup or died themselves. Thankfully it's rare as it's known shifting is dangerous in that condition." Elder Thomas added.

"There was one case around two centuries ago a pack that was attacked by rogues. The Gamma was pregnant at the time. She shifted from and fought alongside her pack. In the aftermath of the attack it was discovered she was unable to shift back. Within hours the pack felt not even a hint of her in the pack link. Within days her mate could still feel her through the mate link but the mental link was so dim he couldn't speak to her with it." The female Elder told them.

"She gave birth weeks ahead of her expected date. But within hours she and the pup passed over the veil." Elder Thomas finished.

"I don't understand. You think this wolf is Lycan?" The beta asked.

"How many wolf born do you know of that have willingly entered and stayed in a Lycan territory?" Elder Thomas questioned. "Have you contacted the other packs and asked if they have had similar issues?"

Emma longed for her human body as the pains assaulted her. Mia, true to her word, assumed some of the pain but even then it was too intense and happening too fast. She whined as it struck and seemed to last for hours.

She wanted to scream. Whimpers of pain were all that escaped.

"Shenita?"

Emma ignored the soft voice that called to her using the familiar but foreign name. Her breathing came in short fast pants. Her muscles trembled as she tried to gather energy for the next wave of pain.

"You said that only one member of your pack has left in the last year. Ask her family when they last had communication with her." Elder Thomas said.

"Can you explain why?" The Luna asked.

"Because she would go where she felt most comfortable. If this wolf is what we think and came here she must have a connection to your pack."

Claire, I need to know how long it's been since you've spoken to your sister. The Alpha sent over the pack link.

Emma? I'm not sure, Alpha. Five months, maybe. She said things were hectic and they were doing the ceremony to include her in the pack at the end of the month. She replied.

Your not sure when this was? He asked to confirm.

No, sir. But I felt her leave the pack link about two weeks later. She said and he felt her sadness.

Call her. Contact me through the link in ten minutes. He made it an Alpha command so it wouldn't matter if she contacted her sister or not she would still contact him.

Yes, sir.

The Alpha terminated the link and told the others what he had learned.

"What is the name of the pack she went to?" Elder Snider asked.

"Blue Valley." The Luna told her.

The Alpha felt the pressure of someone wanting to mind link. He held up a hand to signal the others and opened the link.

Alpha? My daughter just entered the house. She thinks something is wrong with the wolf. Malinda linked. She also sent a mental picture of her distraught, her weeping daughter.

The mental picture was of a ten-year-old female running into the kitchen. She was crying. "Shenita's crying, mom. But I'm not allowed to go into the den. She wouldn't come out but heard her. She was crying."

I'll look into it, Malinda. He assured her.

He turned to Gordon. Go check the wolf. He told him. He sent the mental video of the child. Gordon nodded.

"Excuse me, Alpha, Luna, Elders. It seems I'm needed elsewhere." He said as he pushed back his chair and stood.

Claire linked the Alpha. The first thing he felt from her was worry. Then she spoke. It was much harder to control emotional tone in a mental voice than a physical one.

Alpha, Emma is missing. I couldn't get her on her cell so I called the pack house. Her... her mate was found dead. They thought she came back here, to- to grieve. She said almost hysterical.

Claire, when? How long has she been missing? He asked her calmly. He hoped he could ease her fear.

Four months.

And her mate? How did he die? He waited. But suspected she was cataloging her thoughts before answering.

They were visiting the city. He was sh-shot. They found his body a the home the pack owned. But the local police said it looked like he was alone when he surprised a burglar. A woman had shone up but she had red hair.

Claire, Luna and I would like to speak to you in person. Now is not the time but it does need to be soon.

Yes, sir. She said the emotions coming over the link those of trepidation.