Chapter 22: Circus Of Hearts

Right, kinda late on the upload...it's isn't that long either...*cringe* me hopes it's okay though, I felt guily...yes i know "gasp" I felt guilty, this is terrible stuff thus I had to upload! xD

VOTE? COMMENT! FAN?! Just reading this makes you EPIC! *Grins*

Chapter 22:

Shudders rippled through my body and suddenly the merry tune of the fair ground chilled into a haunting symphony, leaving my lungs hungry for fresh air, making my eyes yearn for something other than the sight of the senseless man who lay sprawled on his back; and begging my stomach to not hurl and empty itself only to add to the hollow terror creeping through my stomach.

Confusion overran all other emotions, parading around holding the gold medal while my body quivered; other thoughts scattering from the obnoxious presence of befuddlement. I wanted to leave. But not with Seth. Somehow all gratefulness to saving me seemed to recede into a small box, trapped for the time being while wariness washed over me in an all consuming effort to leave me breathless. And breathless I was.

Sure Seth’s a jerk, sure it’s hard to get a good read on him sometimes, but I thought, no I was almost sure that I know, know him.

I shook my head, willing the thoughts to leave. No, I should be grateful to Seth, he’s entitled to his secrets, everyone is…

But isn’t it strange that he knows what happened at the chicken house, that he wrote the note, that he’s not exactly who is seems to be…

What if he’s behind it all…

The sudden startled gasp had Seth turning around, his eyes dimming from their vicious rage to a more complacent blue. Worry shot through him the instant he saw me. In two quick strides he had me bundled up in his arms, his fingers skimming over my bare arms while he kissed the side of my head, warm breaths fluttering against my skin as I felt the soft thump, thump of his heart regain it’s normal pace. But it did nothing to calm me down. The tremors started from the tips of my fingers, spreading like cold fire till I trembled and shivered within Seth’s warm embrace.

Seth momentarily pulled back, his arms loosening their hold slightly. Ducking his head I felt his electric gaze scan my face. A hand came up and tipped my chin up before settling to cup my right cheek that still stung from the slap. “Hey, hey it’s okay. He won’t hurt you anymore. No-one will. I swear if anyone does…” Fiery vehemence consumed his next words as he trailed off, the bright vivid blue of his eyes fleetingly darkening.

“What about you?” My voice cracked and I swallowed to regain some moisture; not achieving much on that aspect as the swallow only grated against my throat.

“Me? I’m not sure what you-“ uncertainty quickly flickered over his worry and his hold on my waist tightened. Wetting his lips he cocked his head to the side slightly, resembling a lost puppy, willing me to take him in.

Taking a deep breath, I looked up, locking his eyes with mine. “We should get back. May might be missing you.” My voice was thin, weary with an undercurrent of withheld bitterness, yet it wasn't weren’t intended to sting. But it did.