Chapter 25: Choosing Sides

Mwa! Mwa! Meeeee: I know I'm so full of it...*grins*, anyway  I uploaded!! MWAHAHAHHAAHA...sorry just habit...evil laughs come naturally to me now! xD Right so I would love it if you guys could tell me whether you actually like this book or are taking pity on my pet rabbit and reading this!!

VOTE? COMMENT! FAN?! So many choices huh?? xD

Chapter 25:

Evening finally breached the brilliant blue sky, shading it a deep royal blue and scattering all thoughts of safety and security. No one was safe anymore, no one was trustworthy anymore.

It was as if we were in some sadistic game, where anyone and everyone could be the murderer, except this wasn’t a game, this was reality and in reality when someone plunges a knife through your chest you die.

So it was understandable that no one wanted to leave the living room just yet, even if the clock was minutes away from ticking to eleven o’ clock. My Grandmother was killed in her sleep, what if our fates mingled and ended in the fashion. Not one of us was willing to take that risk.

Once the funeral procession had finally ended, each one of the ranch hands, May and I silently paid our respects, but as the line to the grave got shorter and shorter we grew wary, despondent, desperate not to go back.

Seth and I hadn’t talked since he left me at the alcove, I hadn’t stayed put like he had told me, instead I emerged from the gloomy inside to the protection of the crowd of mourners, letting the sun’s beams cascade around me in a cage of light, enclosing me in my despair yet cloaking me with hope and reassurance.

I closed my eyes, my mind straying to the forlorn, confused look adorning Seth’s face as he stood at the porch of the church, his eyes vying for mine.  I had ignored him, avoided him like the plague.

Opening my eyes once more I was met with the same sight and I quickly averted my gaze, trying frantically to ignore the sudden pressure and tightness in my chest. I bit my lip, staring at the hard wooden floor, the crackling fire throwing shadows across the pale oak, they weren’t sinister but weren’t quite friendly either.

I felt someone sit down next to me, putting their arms around me in a woeful attempt to comfort me. Daniel.

Sighing I turned around till my face was buried against his chest, my breathing heavy as I willed the tears to remain in their place, on the brink of my eyes.

“It’s okay, I know you’re scared. Truth be told we all are Rayne.” Taking in a deep breath he pulled back, turning his head up to look at Seth.

As if a message had been sent, Seth straightened, blue eyes fleetingly glancing my way before he sucked in a breath through his teeth as if in pain. “We can’t stay up all night. We all know that none of us has been able to sleep for the past two days, we can’t go one like this, so, therefore we have arranged for someone to come and investigate. A detective of sorts. He’s a friend of Zack's so he’s given us a discount.” A brief scoff of disgust was set loose at the word ‘discount’ to which everyone grunted in response.