Chapter 8: Spending One Night with a Jerk

Oopsies: yeah that's todays word. I wasn't able to upload earlier so yeah...besides that I just think it sounds funny when you say it aloud XD! Please COMMENT and vote if you actually like this booky, or if you don't like it, or if you think you're breathing right now...are you? I'm not XD!

Chapter 8:

Seth, unlike me, wasn’t locked to the ground by sheer panic, so being rather sensible he grabbed me by the arm and pushed me into the closet just as the door opened. Seth is sensible yes, but gentle? Hell no.

Half my face was welcomed by a hard smack from the back of the wardrobe, which was then followed by my body landing inside in a haphazard heap. Basically all of me was squashed into a small congested space crammed with folded clothes and personal possessions.

I just managed to muffle my groan of pain as a sharp twinge lanced up my side. Focus Rayne, you’re stuck in a closet to hide from your evil Grandma. Mission: don’t get caught!

Idle conversation floated in through the small crack where the closet doors had not shut properly from which I then proceeded to peer through.

Grandma stood at the door, her mouth hardly moving while her hands on the other hand made quick, astute movements. From what I could hear she was mainly discussing farm work, never straying once to talk of the horse thief.

With a sharp nod of the head Grandma stepped back and shut the door. I sighed in relief before panic began to flood back through my veins till my head was pounding with the sound of my erratic heart beats resounding in my ears. What if she checks up on me?

A few moments of silence passed before Seth walked over to the closet and opened the door. Of course me being good old clumsy me, toppled head first onto the floor while Seth tried, and failed, to subdue his laughter. Jerk.

Lifting my head up I glowered at the laughing jerk prior to getting up and kicking him in the shin. His laughter stopped abruptly replaced by an annoyed grunt of pain instead. Smirking I turned towards the door then realised that I might bump into Grammy if I went into the corridor.

Deciding that it wasn’t a good idea to panic like a little school girl whose hair had caught on fire, I looked to my next option: the window. Small eddies of wind slipped through the open window and pranced around the room, ruffling the bed covers mischievously.

Leaving Seth to care for his sore knee I walked to the window, then lifting it up further so there was enough room for me to fit through, I jumped outside, succesfully avoiding the flowerbed and dung duo. The cold air washed over me, tendrils of the icy wind spreading goose-bumps up my arms. Ignoring the freezing wind I trekked onwards around the house to get to the window that would eventually lead to my room.

Even though it was the middle of summer the nights were just as brutal as any other cold winter’s day. I could all but hope the next window was mine and not some ranch hand's. Peeling my eyes for a slightly open window I walked around the next corner.

This window too was jammed shut. Sighing in frustration I cupped my hands around my face and peered through the window. The lights were out but I could just manage to glimpse the sight of a cream and orange patch work quilt and a photo frame facing away from the window sitting snugly on a small bedside table.