Chapter 28: Blood comes first

Start from the beginning

It was a tough one and when I finally made up my mind I could only hope it would turn out to be a good decision. For some stupid reason I’d housed the thought that maybe we really could beat Carson’s pack and maybe Vicky would finally relax and turn back into the woman I’d fallen in love with but as the hours passed that small niggle of doubt I’d housed over her victory grew to the point where I was no longer confident in her scheme.

Carson was ruthless when it came to his pack. From the brief amount of time I’d spent living among them I’d learned just how ruthless and I was suddenly afraid of what that would mean for my mate.

I loved her more than I could explain; I was bound to her; mind, body and spirit but the bond I had with my daughter far surpassed that and if I had to choose between the two. I’d choose my own blood every time.

I drew in a sorrowful breath at what I had to do and tried desperately to blink back tears. It wasn’t fair that it all would end this way. I pushed open the door leading to the cell holdings and stepped inside.

I wasn’t exactly sure why I hadn’t just barged in and separated the child from Corsetti but something held me back and I stood silently watching the two trapped in the cage.

Neither of them had realized I was there and so they continued their play uninterrupted.

“How many are these?” the child was asking, staring intently at Corsetti with her hands held high.

“Six?” He replied incorrectly and I tilted my head to the side entranced.

“No, ten silly!” the little girl giggled, jumping up and down on her tiny legs in excitement.

“Wow you’re a smart one aren’t you?” Corsetti practically cooed and I found myself smiling at his actions.

The best way to give praise to a child was to make them think they were smarter than you were. I did the same thing with my little one.

I stood there in silence watching the two laugh as if they were father and daughter and I decided to leave them be. If they had to be imprisoned because of Vicky’s schemes then they might as well be together.

I pulled back into the darkness, closing the door behind me when I exited the holdings and quickly made my way up to my daughter’s room.

She slept soundly in her crib, looking like a delicate princess surrounded my white lace and soft cotton and I took a moment to appreciate the beauty I’d created; then before I lost my nerve I packed a small bag and when it was safely slung over my shoulder I picked up my sleeping princess; cradling her in my arms as I made my way down the stairs and out the door.

Vicky would have to do this without us. I only hoped that one day she’d find it in her heart to forgive me…if she didn’t hunt me down and kill me first.

……………………………………….

~Marcus’ POV~

Thomas wasn’t as pale as he had been before but he still looked like he was about to fall over at any minute and that worried me. We needed to take control of the enemy pack soon so we could get him the care he needed. I just wished he’d go back to camp; the damned stubborn fool. He reminded me so much of Adrian’s own stubbornness.

“You wanna take a break?” I asked, knowing the question was pointless and as expected he shook his head and pushed pass me as if to prove a point.

“You don’t need to push them so hard, I don’t plan on dying today.” Thomas muttered up ahead and I shook my head.

“It’s not just you dying I have to worry about.” I replied and he turned to give me a sympathetic look before ducking behind the tree closest to me.