Chapter 12: The Alpha's Mate.

Chapter 12

~Lucas’s POV~

 A huge smile broke out on his face when he saw me and he quickened his pace leaving Carson to walk sedately behind him. My breath hitched in my throat at the sight of him. It had been so long since I’d laid eyes on him. He had grown some; he wasn’t that cute boy I’d left almost a year ago, his cheeks were hollowed and he’d even started growing some stubble.

The transformation was surprising to say the least. He looked more like a man now than like the kid I’d left behind. His midnight black hair was longer and curled softly at his neck, he’d grown a few inches and he had a bit of muscle now, I assumed it had to do with his martial arts training.

The only thing that hadn’t changed was his big expressive eyes which were now wide with excitement. God I missed him.

He grabbed me up into a hug the moment he reached me, hugging me tightly against him before pulling away to look me over. He was still a few inches shorter than me but still very much as handsome as he had been back then. Maybe even more so.

“I can’t believe you’re here.” Laken said, his excitement hardly under control and he hugged me again for good measure.

I had no idea what to say. I’d imagined this moment for so long, pictured our reunion in my mind over and over again but now that the time was finally here I was speechless. The happiness at seeing him after so long had sucked my voice away and  I could only smile down at him as he grinned up at me.

“I wanted to see you yesterday but my parents wouldn’t let me out.” He said as Carson came to a stop beside him.

“That’s okay, it’s really good to see you Laken.” I finally found my voice and I wondered very briefly what the others must think of us standing there staring and not saying much at all.

“You’d think the conversation would flow pretty easily considering how often you two talk on the phone.” Carson commented in obvious amusement and Laken reached over to playfully thump his arm.

“I guess I’m still trying to process it all. I didn’t think I’d see you again for some years at least.” I said seriously, stealing a glance at Adrian who stood tensely by my side watching Laken with glinting eyes.

“I can see you’ve been working out.” I teased, trying to dispel the awkwardness and Laken grinned.

“Yeah, I’m still doing martial arts, kinda like it now.” He responded, “So aren’t you going to introduce me to your friends?” he question, looked over at my shoulder at Scottie then glancing at Adrian.

“Oh right.” I said chuckling nervously. Boy this was not going as well as I’d hoped.

“This is Scottie.” I said gesturing to him and Scottie stepped forward taking Laken’s hand, shaking it enthusiastically.

“It’s great finally put a face to the name.” Scottie said with a friendly smile and Laken looked at me, clearly amused.

“Been talking about me, have you?” he teased and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Got a little cocky there did you?” I said and he laughed.

“So if you’re Scottie then this must be…Marcus? or Adrian?” Laken asked looking over at my lover and when Adrian didn’t offer comment I spoke up.

“This is Adrian, Marcus is… somewhere around here.” I finished looking around hoping to miraculously spot Adrian’s twin in the crowd.

“Yeah he’s never around is he? I have yet to meet him myself.” Rivers spoke up then, glancing around much like I had done.