The Day I Kill Nico Di Angelo

Chapter 9

~Korra~

The next day I was the first to wake up.  I pulled a granola bar out of my bag and took a bite. As I chewed I gazed out at the view from our cave.

The Underworld was gruesome. And I'm an Ares kid! Everybody thinks we're supposed be tough all the time but the place really creeped me out... There were things floating around in the air, they were like memories of the dead. A picture of a mother and her son floated by, I caught it. As I studied it I noticed the sadness and worry in the mother's eyes. The child beamed at the camera, a huge smile across his face. He looked happy and oblivious, just as a child should. I bet that in his mind, there was nothing wrong. I placed the picture back into the stream of memories.

 I leaned over again and grabbed it, I studied it carefully. Death isn't fair. 

 I heard a noise from behind me, quickly stuffed the picture in my pocket and practically threw the rest of granola bar down my throat, nearly choking myself.

 "Goooooood morning!" Leo's voice filled the hollow cave. I just coughed and nodded.

 "You okay?" He said, popping up next to me.

 I coughed again, pounding on my chest. "Do I-" I went into a coughing fit. "-look okay?" I coughed up a piece of granola bar.

Trying his best not to laugh Leo asked "You okay now?"

 "Yes." I glared at him.

 He let out a bark of laughter, as I mentally sliced his head off.

 "So........ Did you sleep well?" He asked.

 I rolled my eyes, "Fine, you?"

 "Fabulously! Like I was laying on rocks, with the scent of death running up my nostrils." A huge fake smile plastered on his face. I couldn't stop the laugh that bubbled out of me. Leo smirked, does he always have to get that proud I'm-so-awesome-and-funny look on his face? Can't he just let a joke be? I looked back over at him and noticed he was staring behind his shoulder. I saw him smile and then he turned back to face me. He just stared at me with a knowing grin until I couldn't take it anymore.

 "What?" I demanded.

 Still grinning he jerked his thumb behind his shoulder "Take a look at those two."

 "What is it?" I said as I turned around, "I don't see wha-"

  I stopped mid-sentence and stared at the sleeping body of Nico Di Angelo.

 "Phew! Am I glad I'm not him! You look like you're about to go on a killing spree!" Leo shouted as a laugh rolled off his tongue.

 I slowly turned my head so that my death glare was directed towards Leo. "Say one more word and you won't wake up tomorrow."  Deliberately, I enunciated each and every word. Short story shorter, he shut up. My gaze went back to the still figures that slept only a few feet away from me.

Let me explain, last night we had slept in a row: Harper, Nico, Leo and then me. Harper now had her back turned to Nico, she was sleeping peacefully and she was minding her own business. Nico on the other hand was not. He was facing Harper's back and had one arm draped around her.

 "I swear on the river Styx I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!" My voice went from even and cold to vicious and fiery. I pounced on Nico, pinning him back.

 He woke with a start "What are you doing? Get off me!"

 "Hmm, let me see.....NO." I said as I dug my right knee into his chest, pushing the air from his lungs. He started to squirm under me, as I pressed my thumbs just under his chin; slowly crushing his windpipe.

“Korra, what are you doing?!” Harper exclaimed. She grabbed my shoulders forcefully ripping my hands off of Nico’s throat, we fell back onto the floor of the cave. She sat up immediately, now you’re in for it I thought. But to my surprise she didn’t yell at me, instead she turned her anger towards Leo.

“Please explain to me why you allowed her to do that?” Her words were very polite and diplomatic as always but her tone was deadly.

Leo looked from Harper to Nico to me and then back to Harper again. “I didn’t necessarily allow it……”

Harper gave him a stern glare, “Don’t let it happen again.” Was all she said and all Leo did was nod.

“Now you.” She turned to face me. Oh, no. This isn’t going to be good. “Why were you trying to kill him?”

Silence.

“Okay, I can take the whole ‘I’m too embarrassed to talk’ thing from Leo. But I’ve known you a long time and I know you had your reasons, you don’t just go around attempting murder for fun.”

More silence.

She gave me an intensely disapproving look that crushed my heart and then she sighed. My head bowed, solemnly. Harper turned and walked over to Nico who had propped himself up against the cave wall. She knelt down next to him, pulled a baggy of ambrosia out of her pocket and handed it to him. He opened the bag took out a piece and popped it in his mouth. It was then that I realized the dark red marks on his neck from where my hands had been.

“Are you okay?” Harper asked.

Nico was looking at me as he answered, “I’m fine, but if this happens again you better hope I die because you won’t be getting off so easy.” I gulped, why in the Gods names did I try to kill Nico in the Underworld? That’d be like trying to kill Harper in the ocean! What is wrong with me? And why had he let me choke him? Clearly he is more powerful than me (tell him I said that and you will die).

“Nico, lay one finger on her and you’ll have me to face. Trust me when I say you don’t want me as an enemy.” Harper replied, absolute calm covered her features, making her threat seem even more deadly. She then proceeded to  pack up the few things we had brought. “Get your stuff and get out. We need to continue with the search.”

I’m pretty sure we were all  glad to have something else to do. Five minutes later we were on our way again.

 As we walked the grounds of the Underworld I couldn’t help but notice that in a way it was a sickly beautiful place. Maybe I just have a twisted mind, but then again maybe not. Whatever frightening stories you’ve heard, well, they’re probably true. But sometimes beauty is found in the strangest places.

A/N

Gods, I am so sorry!!!! I've started school again (just like most of you) and have been super duper busy!!!!! Hope you demis like this chapter! Also, if any of you are willing to make us a cover please send us a message!

What do you think will happen when Harper finds out why Korra is angry at NIco? Tell us in the  comments below!

Comment and vote my glorious cupcakes!

Love always,

welovePJO