chapter 2.

August.

"Work work work work work work." Samira sang, causing me to chuckle.

"You sho' like this song huh?" I asked, taking a peek into the rear view mirror, causing her to nod.

"Even though I don't know what she's saying." She shrugged, causing me to laugh.

I licked my lips and smiled. I looked at her through the rear view mirror and saw how she was starting to look more like Zariah everyday. I looked back at the road as she started singing again.

Moments later, my phone vibrated in the cup holder and I glanced down at the unknown number before grabbing my phone and putting it to my ear.

ME: "Hello?"

UNKNOWN: "...Hello? August?"

My eyebrows wrinkled in confusion as to how this person knew my name.

ME: "Yeah wassup, who dis'?"

UNKNOWN: "It's me.....Candice."

I sucked my teeth and was about to take my phone away from my ear before she started talking again.

CANDICE: "Please don't hang up.....I wanna talk to you."

I took a deep breath.

ME: "Make it quick."

CANDICE: "August...I miss you. I miss Samira. I miss us."

ME: "Man, you really called me to feed me some bull? You just tryna waste my time."

I could hear her sobbing on the other line.

CANDICE: "No August, I love you. Please?"

ME: "Have a nice day Candice."

I hang up the phone and threw it back into the cup holder. I took a deep breath and pushed all the thoughts out of my head.

*****

Zariah.

I took a deep breath and slid on my shades before stepping out of my car. I closed the door and grabbed my keys before walking towards the building. I opened the doors and stepped in, feeling the cool breeze smack me in the face.

"Hello, Ms. Zariah." The receptionist, Veronica smiled. I looked at her and smiled back.

"Hey Veronica." I said, and she glanced down at her computer before looking back up at me.

"You can go straight up." She said, and I nodded before walking towards the elevator.

*****

"Hey everyone." I said to my crew as I walked in the room, causing everyone to look up at me.

"Hey Zariah." They said, smiling at me.

The more and more I came to work and had photoshoots, more people knew me. Everybody acknowledged my presence which made me feel good when I walk in.

I walked towards my dressing room and sat my bag down on the chair infront of me.

"Hey Z." Donna said, taking a seat infront of me.

"Hey D." I said. "How are you?"

"I'm great, thanks. What about you?" She asked.

"I'm good.." I said.

"How about my little munchkin? How's she doing??" She asked, referring to Samira.

"Oh, she's good. Turning into a little badass day by day but, she's doing great." I said, and we shared a small laugh.

"Oh that's good. Well, Tony wanted me to come tell you that you're photoshoot is in a hour, so you have enough time to get a quick snack than come back and get dressed and all that jazz." She said, and I nodded.

"Okay, thanks. I'll probably stop by chickfila and grab me a sandwich...Would you like something?" I asked her and jumped down from my chair.

"Oh, well since you offered...Can I get a number 1 meal with a Sprite." She said, and I raised my eyebrow. "Oh and, no pickles on my sandwich."

I chuckled a little.

"Looks like you thought this through." I laughed, picking up my keys and retrieved my wallet from my purse.

"Girl bye, just get me my food." She shooed me away and I laughed and walked right back out the room, down the elevator, and out the door to my car.

******

I sighed and tapped my nails against the table, waiting for the people to call me so I could get my food. I pushed my shades up farther on my nose and looked back down at my phone.

"Zariah."

I took a sigh of relief and practically ran to the front, grabbing my bag of food. I checked to make sure everything was in here before thanking them.

While walking out, I spotted a lady in the corner of my eye.

She had on a short, black dress with a jean jacket ontop and some light beige flats on. Her hair was pulled into a neat bun on her head. She had on some shades so I couldn't really see much of the top half of her face.

I looked at her for a moment and tilted my head.

She stared back at me and we shared a small moment before her name was called and she turned away from me.

I shrugged the weird feeling off and walked out.

***********

I'm so excited for this book omgosh.

Vote and Comment!!!