Epilogue

I fisted the sides of the bed sheet I was lying on before letting out another piercing scream as I struggled to ease the pain and pressure bubbling in my lower region.

Perspiration dotted and clung to my skin like a fever and I growled in frustration each time sweat ran across my eyelids and irritated my eyes briefly. But nevertheless, the last thing I wanted or cared to do was brush them off.

"Something's wrong." I felt Kane leave my side and imagined him glaring and curling his fingers tightly around the human's neck. "What is happening to her? What the hell is going on?"

"I-I don't..." I could practically smell her fear radiating all over the room. I tried to use that as a distraction but the stagnant pressure and pain still invading my abdomen just made me let out another agonizing scream. "I-I think it's stuck."

"You think?" Kane growled. "How about you tell me exactly what the hell is happening to my wife before I kill you."

"P-Please don't hurt me," she begged. "I-I really don't know what to do. The baby's just n-not coming out, no matter how many times she pushes."

"That was why I brought you here."

"But I can't do it!"

"You cannot? And here I thought you were an esteemed doctor, Mrs Crinstel." I felt Kane's malevolent nature rise and would've attempted to calm him down if I wasn't in such a dire situation.

"Believe me, if I could I-I would. But the baby's stuck and I can't get it out!"

"Well, then it means you are not doing your job properly," Kane responded harshly. "Do it, or I will be paying your family a visit right after I wring that wrinkled neck of yours."

"Please, I-"

"Just get that thing out of me!" I yelled once I got fed up with their exchange and wished I had the strength to open my eyes and glare at the two.

"I don't care how and I don't care what you use. Just...get it out, now!" We would've gone to the hospital itself to deliver the baby, but it was too far and we wouldn't have gotten there in time as I would've slowed us down. Kane sending a few members of the pack to quickly bring in the only doctor available was our only hope.

There was a sob and a whimper before the doctor pleaded again in a whisper. "I-I'm sorry. I could perform an operation, but it might kill her or both of them at this stage. The head's sticking out and...and I could pull the baby out manually b-but I don't...I don't want to kill it plus there isn't enough of its body for me to grab. I'm sorry. Please let me go. I'll...I'll go and fetch help, I swear."

"Do not bother." A loud crack suddenly resonated the dark bedroom before the heavy thump of a body falling on the ground followed suit. My blood began to boil when the woman's cries abruptly ceased.

"What the hell did you do that for?!" I shouted through gritted teeth. The pain was unbearable, but the helplessness I was feeling at the moment was much worse. I couldn't take it. "She was our only chance!"

"Not our only," was his response before he bellowed, "Reina!"

For the first time in nine months, I felt the dark presence of the Night Witch slide throughout my system, prompting me to shiver involuntarily.

"No need to yell, darling," came the immediate cool reply. "I have been right here all along."

Confusion clouded my mind for a minute. I wasn't worried about not being able to sense her presence before she appeared, but did Kane seriously think she was going to help us? The conniving Night Witch?