Chapter 4

I stiffened as each step the beast took led to a new morph.

At first, its fur began to dissipate and flatten against its skin, then, its whole form began to shrink. But surprisingly, it shrank only a fraction, meaning that this particular werewolf was huge both in its wolf form and its human form.

Subsequently, its forelimbs rose and morphed into large arms, its hind limbs into long thick legs, and its once furry chest into a less hairy yet chiselled and muscular physique. Its shoulders broadened and the muscles thickened and bulged as the transformation proceeded.

Then finally, the wolf's snout pushed in and gave way to a face. A face which housed a bright pair of intense, grey eyes that seemed to shine even brighter than the light in the sky. Eyes that I was glad were as captivating as the full moon, otherwise, I would've been forced to come to terms with the fact that he was standing devoid of any sort of clothing.

My whole body turned rigid as the noticeably naked male giant took a step towards my lying form. Each movement causing my heart to pound faster.

This is it. I'm going to die, I thought with an unexpected ache in my chest. An ache due to the chance that I might never see my mother again.

Yet, instead of finishing me on the spot like I'd expected it would, the beast stopped just millimetres away from my figure and crouched low, searing his gaze through my dull, brown eyes.

He didn't speak, he just stared. As if the answers to whatever questions were swirling in his mind were written plain on my face.

The erratic pounding of my heart didn't slow, and I feared that if he didn't do or say anything soon to break the eerie night's silence I'd combust from the suspense. But before I could die from the severe anticipation, the male giant seized my left arm and effortlessly lifted me to my feet.

I gasped at the sudden act and grabbed a stone off the ground before he could get me to stand. I hid the stone - although inwardly I knew that it was a useless weapon - in my right hand behind my back and raised my head in order to meet his piercing gaze once more. Though I had to strain my neck to do so since the top of my head reached his chest halfway.

His heavy grip on my hand tightened as he studied me intently for reasons that I couldn't see buried beneath his stare. I told myself that it was only rational that I'd feel a strange stirring within my belly while each second passed without him spilling out a word or even any sort of action.

Unconsciously, I fisted my hold on the stone, preparing for any sort of surprises.

"Tell me your name."

I flinched. The sudden command given through the rough baritone of his voice had me blinking and gaping more times than necessary.

"W-What?"

"Your name," he repeated, seeming impatient, "Tell me."

My name instantly wedged its way to the tip of my tongue but I held it back. Even though his stature was incredibly intimidating, I wasn't going to allow him to coerce those words out of me. "I don't-"

"Do not lie to me." He took a step way closer than he ought to, bent his head to level us eye-to-eye and growled out once more. His tone taking a rougher, deeper edge that I was almost positively familiar with. "Tell me your name."

His eyes flashed with a hint of red surrounding the deep silver colour in the middle and I didn't have to be told in plain English that his wolf was fighting for control. I gulped and struggled to come up with a convincing answer, knowing that if he found out I was lying that'd be the end of me.