Chapter 18

"Stop!" I called after Kane, reaching the door before he did in order to block his path. "Where do you think you're going?"

He clenched his jaws. "To do her bidding. Now get out of my way."

"No." I lifted my chin in defiance. "I don't care if she's whoever she or you say she is, I won't let you nor anyone touch my mother."

"You do not have a choice."

"Oh yes, I have," I retorted, narrowing my eyes at him. "And it is to protect the woman who gave birth to me."

Kane's own eyes didn't waver from mine as he moved to close the distance between us. His grey pupils focused intently on me. "I said get out of my way."

I stood firmly at my position in the doorway. "From the way you spoke to her, I assumed that you wouldn't think twice about doing her dirty work. So why aren't you not doing what she wants? Was all that bravado a bloody façade? Are you actually scared of her?"

He glared at me and gritted his teeth in both annoyance and impatience. "No. But I am not stupid. I know a threat when I sense one."

"But she didn't even threaten us!" I argued. "I'm sure she just said those words to scare us."

"You do not know her, Kara."

"I don't care if I don't-"

"That witch is a sly demon who does not play fair," Kane interrupted, pinning me on the spot with his unwavering stare. "And when she wants something, she gets it through her minions, us. Never herself. That is her game, and someone's life always has to pay for it. So there is nothing you can do to stop this, she-wolf. We must get that moonstone and that female has to die. That is all. There is no other way around this."

He bowed his head a little so that we would be on the same level. "So, for the last time; get out of my way."

"Not until you promise not to hurt my mother." I refused to back away until I got his word.

"That cannot happen."

"Then I won't stand aside," I said in response.

Kane stood silent for a moment before taking a step back, putting some space between us. "I am afraid you leave me no choice."

An unexpected toss of his hand had me slammed against the opposite wall, breaking right through the aged wood and landing painfully on my backside against the hard, dirty floorboards.

I groaned at the impact but bit my tongue to swallow in the rest of my moaning when I felt Kane lean towards my stiffened figure and grab the back of my neck.

"You will either finish the job with me or stay here while I get it done myself. Do I make myself clear?" He moved his hand to curl his fingers around the base of my throat but then hissed and pulled away so quickly after his digits had grazed the side of my neck.

I would've used that chance as a distraction to knock him out cold. But unfortunately, he wasn't the only one affected.

I let out a surprised yelp when I felt a burning sensation slice the part where he had just touched, causing me to squeeze that particular portion with my left hand as Kane got up from his kneeling position and swore.

"What the hell just happened?" I asked in bemusement as I too rose from the ground, my hand still clutching the side of my neck. Yet even as I awaited his answer, I already had a fair idea of what exactly had happened.

Almost afraid of what I knew I would discover, I slowly traced the outline of the bite mark Albus had given me during our brutal sexual encounter.