Chapter 11

"Casper?" I murmured when I opened my eyes and caught the glimpse of a familiar cleft in a firm, hairy chin just as said person laid my body on the ground and against the trunk of a tree. I'd recognize that chin anywhere.

Casper was one of Dad's brothers. The second-born. So he was technically my uncle even though he was actually more of a big brother to me.

He reached Dad's height perfectly, but was more muscular - though not more than Albus - and had a beard. Casper's blue eyes then clearly shone in the moonlight with concern after I'd taken in a shaky breath.

From the looks of our surroundings, it seemed as if Casper had brought us to a random portion of the woods, a part where I strangely didn't recognize. But as long as we were far away from those other werewolves, I couldn't care less about where I currently was.

"What happened, Kara?" Casper questioned sternly the minute after he felt satisfied with my position. "What went wrong?"

It took me a moment to answer. "You didn't keep him away long enough," I replied, absently rubbing across the fading marks on my fingers as my body gradually climaxed its healing process. I then gazed away from his shimmering orbs and stared down at my bloody hands. "I thought you'd buy enough time for us to escape."

"I did. But hell, I could swear that he had suspected my actions to be suspicious." Casper ran a hand across his face and his beard. "Honestly, I hadn't even expected him to fall for it. But then he did, and then you guys almost escaped. And now we have this problem."

I didn't bother to ask what "this problem" meant because I was sure that I had a fair idea. "You heard what went on about your father, didn't you?"

"Yeah." He let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed a finger across his short beard, furrowing his eyebrows. "Dammit, I can't believe he's still alive."

Me neither.

"Everyone heard it," he continued. "Except for the others who are guarding your mother, the rest of us who waited for your father's signal in the shadows did."

I immediately zoned out all the other information and focused on that one forgotten fact. Mum.

"My mother?" As if the name suddenly flipped a switch, I was on my feet in a manner of seconds. "You know where she is? Tell me!"

"Whoa, Kara lower your voice!" Casper hissed out and cupped his hand over my mouth. "Don't talk too loud. Someone might hear us and come," he chided, diverting his gaze to eye around us, sniffing the air too in the process.

"They're busy trying to fight off Albus, Casper," I retorted, pulling his hand away, but still heeded and kept my voice low. "Well? Where is she?"

His lips thinned. "Frankly, I have no idea. When your father was appointing some of the members to watch over your mother, it was obvious that he'd entrust one of those positions to me, his Beta."

"But he didn't."

"No." Casper shook his head. "It was then I realized that he had lost his trust in me, if there had been one in the first place."

He then sighed when he saw the dejected look on my face. "Kara, I'm sorry I can't help you. I'm positive that I'm already on his death list now that he suspects me of treachery somehow."

I held in a deep sigh of disappointment. I knew that I would be at loss without help in my search, so I held hope deep down that Casper would meet me somewhere and lead me to wherever Dad was keeping Mum.

Casper was one of the people I trusted. He had really helped my mother and I by stalling my father by whatever means in order for us so to make our escape. And even though that plan had backfired, I was grateful for the constant help he had always given to me in times of need.