Exciting News

Seth's P.O.V.

He's gay.

Am I? I think so.

No I'm not, being gay is wrong, remember? What would mom say?

She probably wouldn't care.

But what if she did?

She's accepting. Not like Riley's dad.

But she always talks about how someday I'll get a beautiful girlfriend and get married and be happy.

Why not a boy?

I shook my head slightly, trying to stop arguing with myself. I put my arm around Riley's shoulders, leaning back on my bed as if it were the back of a chair. He leaned into me, sniffing. I put my other arm around him, hugging him.

"It's okay..." I soothed. "You don't have to see your dad anymore..."

He nodded, sniffing again. I could tell he was trying to stop crying.

I heard the front door open and close.

"I'm home!" I heard my mom call from downstairs. "And I have exciting news!"

I was curious of what the news was, but I didn't want to leave Riley.

"You can go," he said softly, sitting up to let me stand.

"I'll be right back," I told him, standing up and walking out of my room and down the stairs. Lily was already in the front room as well.

"I've finally gotten that house we've been looking at in Lockport," my mom grinned. "We're moving!"

"Really?" I grinned. We'd been trying to get a house in Lockport, New York for over a year.

"Yay!" Lily cheered.

Suddenly, a blank look crossed my face. My mom noticed it.

"What is it?" She asked.

"What about Riley?" I asked in a low voice. My mom got the same blank look on her face. "Can he come too?" I asked her, almost begging.

"I don't know if that's a good idea..." she trailed off. "What if his parents are looking for him? They'd never find him if he left the city."

I looked at Lily. "Would you excuse us?"

"Uh, I guess?" Lily shrugged, going upstairs.

"What is it?" My mom asked. I told her what Riley told me, about what his dad said to him.

When I finished, she looked stricken. "I see..." she trailed off.

"Please let him come with us?" I begged, a pleading look on my face.

"We should let him decide..."