The McLoughlin House

We had been walking for about half an hour when we finally walked up the front sidewalk to the lady's house. She told me her name was Jess. I told her my name too, but I wasn't ready to tell her anything else. I was glad she understood.

She took a key out of her purse, putting it in the door before twisting it and pulling it open. "I'm home!" She called out as she stepped inside, motioning for me to follow her.

"Hey mom!" I heard two voices call out from another room. I followed Jess inside, looking around. The house was really nice looking, and brightly lit. I looked up at Jess, and I could actually see her. She looked maybe 40, not too old. She had blonde hair and green eyes, and a warm smile.

"Seth, Lily, come out here," Jess called, slipping her shoes off. I didn't really know what to do, since I wasn't even wearing shoes. She looked down at my feet, noticing. She looked back up at me with a look of pity.

A little girl, who looked about 7 or 8, came running down the stairs. She looked at me, looking confused. "Who's that?" She asked.

"Seth!" Jess called, ignoring her. "Get out here now!"

"Just a second!" I heard a voice say from another room, on the same floor. "I can't pause this game, it's multiplayer!"

"Seth McLoughlin, get out here right now!" Jess called. I stood there awkwardly, rubbing my feet on the rug by the door in hopes of getting some of the dirt off.

Seth's P.O.V.⚪

I typed 'Gtg my mom wants me' into the chat before tossing my controller down on the couch next to me in frustration. I stood up, walking out to the front room. The first thing that caught my eye was the kid standing there.

He was pretty tall like me, I noticed. He looked about the same age as me, maybe younger. His hair was dyed black, which was the opposite of my white hair.

He's cute.

No he isn't, he's a boy, that's wrong.

But he's cute. Fuck.

"Who's this?" I asked, shaking my head slightly to clear my mental argument from my head. I looked up at Lily, who was standing on the stairs looking down at us.

"This is Riley," my mom said, motioning toward him. "He doesn't have anywhere to stay, so I'm letting him stay with us."

"Ah, cool," I said, reaching my hand out toward him. "Nice to meet you, Riley. I'm Seth."

He took my hand, shaking it lightly before dropping it. I noticed that his face was tearstained.

"Seth, he can stay in your room," my mom said.

"Alright," I said. "I've got to turn my game off-"

"I'll get it for you," my mom said, "get Riley upstairs, see if any of your clothes will fit him and have him take a shower."

"Okay," I nodded, looking back at him. "Let's go, Riley."