e l e v e n

•cover by damn-daniel
•sorry for the long wait. ive been trying to focus on school
unedited

e l e v e n

December 31, 2014

"Does this look okay?" Callum asked, looking down at his black t-shirt and gray pants he tried on.

I looked down at my own attire. A white t-shirt and black pants. This is what I usually wear, which is similar to Callum's, so if what he was wearing didn't look okay, I had to rethink my clothing options.

Matt threw the football back at me from across the room. "Why does it matter?" he asked.

Callum looked at the mirror and flattened the nonexistent wrinkles on his shirt. "At the party, I'm going to look for someone."

I looked at Callum, almost getting hit with the football when Matt threw it at me. "Someone you know or . . . " I trailed off already sort of knowing what he meant.

For the past week, Callum had been extra flirty with anyone who would so much as glance at him. When they would turn him down, he'd look like the world's saddest puppy. Then, a while after, he'd complain about dying alone.

Callum gave me a look through the mirror, a look that asked, 'what do you think?' and had me looking away and throwing the ball back at Matt.

"I don't understand why you're worrying about finding someone. You don't find love, love finds you and it finds you at the least expected time."

Callum whipped around. "I think love just found me." Then he proceeded to run to Matt, jumping at the last second and sending both toppling to the floor. "You said that so beautifully. Who knew you could be a softie?" Matt grunted, his face reddening a bit from the pain as Callum talked. When Callum noticed this, he pushed himself up with his arms and rolled off, laughing. "Come on! You're a football player, shouldn't you be used to getting tackled."

Matt got up and threw the football at Callum's chest. "Just 'cause I'm a football player doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when someone jumps on me."

When my phone vibrated on my nightstand, I ran and landed on my bed, grabbing my phone.

Athena: is this Mason?

Me: yeah...?
Me: did your contacts get deleted or something?

Athena: stop stealing my best friend from me
Athena: else I'll hunt you down

Me: ???

I was getting the feeling that this was not Athena.

Athena: all athena ever talks about now is how her Mason went here and did this. Mason Mason Mason
Athena: it's annoyingly cute
Athena: annoying nonetheless

I tried to tell myself I was imaging the heat on my face.

Me: who is this??

I hadn't noticed Callum was sat next to me until I heard a laugh.

Athena: oh
Athena: haha
Athena: this is Athena's best friend, Arianna

I didn't really know what to say after that so I just replied with a 'nice to meet you'.

When she didn't respond, I was just about to set my phone back down until I felt the vibrations of a new message.